Help with tranny ID

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idylldon

I have an output transformer from an old Webster Electric mic pre. A friend gave it to me, so I don't have the model number of the mic pre. I do know that the pre had two 6EU7 and one 12AU7 tubes. Here's a bad pic of the tranny:

tranny.jpg

Measurements:

Between red/blue -- 340 ohms
" yellow/white -- 200 ohms
" white/black -- 85
" yellow/black -- 115

The number on the trans is 32569

Any ideas as to usage and which is the primary and secondary would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Don

Are you sure it's an output?
You would think tat a higher resistance woyuld be needed on the plate side of the output to match the relitively high plate impedance of the 12AU7.
You should probably get the turns to make sure, using a scope and signal generator, or just a regular voltmeter and an ac source, possibly from a 6.3 transformer if you do not have a generator.
Put in 6.3 to the high ohms winding and see what you get out. You are looking for about a 4:1 ratio for a output transformer, parafeed style.
Is there a cap feeding the transformer?
cj

If it follows the color code of the old days--and not all transformers do--then the blue and red are the primary. Blue to plate, Red to B+. It stands to reason that yellow, white and black are the secondary.

Do you have a copy of the schematic for the preamp? Testing with a signal generator will tell you the turns ratio, but a glance at the circuit can give you an idea of nominal impedances.

Something that occurred to me, since I posted that last message, was that your transformer could very well be intended for interstage, plate-to-push-pull-grids. The DC resistances on the secondary lead me to believe that the black is likely the centertap, and the yellow and white are the grid leads.

cjenrick: With 5 volts on the red/blue winding, I get 3.5 out of the yellow white winding.

I don't know if there was a cap feeding the tranny as I only got the tranny by itself.

NewYorkDave: Yeah, I had researched the color codes but didn't feel comfortable drawing any conclusions. Unfortunately, my friend didn't have the schematic and doesn't remember the model number of the pre. No help there.

I'm glad you responded to this thread because I'm building your new tube circuit and was thinking about using this as the OT, but it obviously isn't the right configuration. Do you have any recommendations regarding for an OT for this circuit other than the one you used for prototyping?

Thanks to both of you for your responses.

Cheers,
--
Don

Back