[BUILD] 1176LN Rev D DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VERY cool mako.

i don't know why one would want to build this circuit without feedback.... seems like a silly idea to me, or with lundahls or especially oeps, seems thats what the g1176 is all about.

the altran is the same pinout as jensen/cinemag, and i believe even has it listed on their page. this is an O-12 clone. i can measure one if you'd like.... the cool thing, however, is that the pads could probably be multi transformer, fitting different types.... any 500:200 or probably even 600:150 or thereabouts would work well enough. if they could do it, and if someone has the specs, edcor would be a perfect candidate, imho, to do a custom job on the output transformer. I think altran would also do lit at a could group buy price but i don't know for sure. they'll do the lo1166 at a 25+ price.

edcor is sweet cuz they'll do a one off custom tranny. but hey, maybe if worst comes to worst a brave soul needs to send an o/p trafo to The CJ to reverse specs

hopefully not. if it meant a trafo that could be used in 1176 class A (*and* an 1108 micpre) at a decent price, i'd certainly sacrifice

hi

i've got a couple of old rev d 1176's,
both will be getting a bit of a service over the next couple of weeks,
if you need a trafo sent to cj, i can live without one of
the units for a while.

input/output or both, whatever for the greater good.

cheers

justin

i don't want to stop anyone from doing anything they want to do (feed teh CJ monstah at yer own peril!), but i already have the complete winding info for the 1176 OPT, and i am working to have them available for anyone who wants one at a reasonable price. the cinemag part number can be found in a previous post.

of course i can also supply the O-12 repro input transformer that purple uses. as billy mentioned, the pinout is the same as the cinemag/jensen types, so most of the usual 1:1 ratio line inputs can be used with minimal changes.

please do not PM me about transformers; i will be making a post about the transformers i have for sale in the black market. you can also email me at edanders at gmail.com

ed

I totaly missed this. I may be in for 2. I can't seem to recal the revisions but I thought F was the more "desireable."

[quote author="guavatone"]I can't seem to recal the revisions but I thought F was the more "desireable."[/quote]
If that is your preference you should probably go with a G1176.

Nice offers to sacrifice iron to CJ or Edcor but if Ed is on board for a group buy of the Cinemag output and Altran input it's probably not necessary. I would love it though if someone could send their iron to me for a few weeks to test with my layout.

As I mentioned in my second post on the page 2 of this thread, I have left the transformers off-board both for ease of experimentation and for added durability of the finished unit. It may also help solve problems not to be locked into fixed placements when trying to reduce hum from the power transformer...

I just received word that the boards have shipped so I should see them in a week or so. They will be offered on the Black Market as soon as they arrive. Still working on documentation and a home-etch layout so maybe everything will come together at once.

hi

i did'nt realise all the trafo info was already sorted,
i'm more than happy to go with cinemag etc

i can lend you some iron if you want but it wont be for
a couple of weeks?

could you please put me down for 3 board sets.

thanks to mnats and ed anderson

so awesome.... also, not sure if you'd consider it, but an altran or cinemag input would probably actually be best onboard, just because its pc mount in the first place... or perhaps someone knows of a chassis mount collar that fits these size/shape transformers.

but yeah, the output *definitely* belongs off board, its heavy. and etc.

Another cool mnat project :)

Do you plan just to make this pacth of boards and when its gone its gone or will they also avail. later?

Pretty dang amazing work!! Such detail, and so clear! Ok I'm drooling, and I haven't even finished my first diy green pre lol.

Thanks mnat! :green: :thumb:

Ok, couldnt resist and ordered the boards already ;)

Btw. i have problems sourcing the 2n3707. Anybody have a source for it, preferably in europe?

Btw. any matching required? Or just the same like the rev. F 1176?

Missed a few things in the thread that I'll try to clear up.
[quote author="mkoz"]May I also ask your help once my brother and I get this flexi-76 challenge working too? [/quote] Sorry, but I don't quite understand what you're asking...

[quote author="tomcat"]Do you plan just to make this pacth of boards and when its gone its gone or will they also avail. later?[/quote]
Dunno. Suppose it will depend on whether there is further interest in them or if it just fizzles out.

[quote author="matthias"]for the meter circuit I would go for a classic meter buffer as purple did that in their mc77 [/quote]
Your options are totally open. But the PCBs themselves contain just the original circuit with nothing added or taken away.

[quote author="safe as milk"]what are you going to use for input iron?[/quote]
If Ed offers the O-12-like transformers I'll try those. For the prototype I just used an OEP A262A2E wired 2:1.

The Rev D page is a work in progress. Suggestions and corrections are welcome. It's going to be interesting to see the comments once folks start building their Rev Ds. Can't wait!

Mako, your pages are fantastic!! So well written and layed out, that even an electronics retard like myself made two 1176's that worked first time!!
the Rev D page looks great too. :thumb:

[quote author="pacemaker"]is there any boards left ?[/quote]
Please check the Black Market thread 1st post for information about the batch of boards I've made for this project.

Could we keep this Lab thread for discussion of the Rev D project itself please?

[quote author="tomcat"]Btw. i have problems sourcing the 2n3707. Anybody have a source for it, preferably in europe?

Btw. any matching required? Or just the same like the rev. F 1176? [/quote]
I bought my transistors from Mouser. They ship internationally at fairly reasonable rates. Use their USPS Global Priority Mail option.

For matching suggestions, check my Revision D page linked a few times so far or download a copy of the manual + schematics (should be still up on the JBL website) to read it from the source.

i'm also interested in the xformers group buy,

would be very nice to get the real Irons !!

Mnats, what resistors will you use for this projetcs,
Carbon ?

Back