[BUILD] 1176LN Rev D DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys

I'd like to start off thanking all involved for offering boards/kits/parts/info/their time & help on these threads for such a cool DIY project!  ;D

I'm in the process of gathering my parts for this build & have some questions...

I see some builds using a mix of carbon film & metal film resistors. Are there preferred spots for these affecting the tone?

I'm buying a kit from HB with the matched FETS but see that you need to match other transistors.
How do you match these?

Does anyone have the mouser part number for the 3 pin norm short thingie??

Thanks
Sean

If ya want to match the transistors you need a meter that measures hfe. Even radio shack sells one... If ya buy 20 transistors at once you will definitely pair a few. But I suggest getting 50 because they are cheap and this won't be the only 1176 you build LOL!

I would use all metal film resistors. They are reliable and sound great. If they have much effect at all. I used mostly carbons on my rev A compressor just for nostalgia.

John

Ringwraith said:
Is it a big deal if you don't match them??

Cheers
Sean
I think matching relates to like 1-2% or is it 5% tollerance? Not sure, but matching the transistors has got something to do with getting the unit to callibrate properly or run correctly from what I have been told. eg. If one of your transistors HFE read 250, then 5% of that is 12.5, so that means you can get another transistor that reads in the range of 237.5 to 262.5 HFE and it would be classified as adequately matched with the 250 hfe transistor. The closer the better though.

Someone please confirm if this is right. To be safe, I would just match them exactly if I can.  :)

demand
I just finished 2 Rev D
instead of -10 = -9.3
instead of 30 = 29.3
normal?
may create problems?
Thanks

Hey ilfungo,
may be worthwhile to stick a meter into your mains at different times of the day to check what voltage is going into your unit. I used trimmer resistors to set my -10 and +30... and reset them three times before I realised that it was my mains supply fluctuating slightly...

Mac.

Ringwraith said:

Thanks
Sean
Sean, download my exel sheet and it should have the part number link for it. It has the reference for the part on the board and then the part and then a direct link to the website part supplier that you click on. Also has the price of the component at the time when I listed them.

Ringwraith said:
Hmm, can't seem to find it on your list.

Cheers
Sean
Hmm, I don't think that is possible, the list is of all the components that I know of for the Rev D? Where abouts on the PCB is this part you mention of?

Canidoit, how come the transistors on the board are 2N3707 & yours & Nimbleswitch's list say 2N3708?

Thanks
Sean

because a vast majority of the 3707's dont have a high enough Hfe.  3708's are a good substitution.  All of this is searchable in the forums

Ringwraith said:
In the GR Meter Driver section between R44 & R69. It says "norm short"

Thanks
Sean
Sean, thats called (x amount of pin) Pin Header Terminal Strip. You are right, I think it is not in the list. Sorry  :(. They use that so you can short connections or not. You use this little connection thing that is used for hard drives to make the settings master or slave on the hard drive. Get that part from a computer store or general electronics store or if you have an old hard drive that has a spare one it's not using.

productLarge_7558.jpg

Here is a link to what you are talking about, its a 28 pin version which you cut to how many pins you want. On the Rev D it uses 3 pins, so you chop that amount. This allows you to short or not that section for calibrating on the R44 trimmer pot. I think what it does, is either makes the R44 trimmer pot in circuit or not. When calibrating, the R44 is not meant to be in circuit, but once you have calibrated the unit, you put the R44 back in circuit by using the little hard drive connector thing. Something like that. This makes it easier to calibrate than having to desolder and re-solder R44 for calibrating. You can get this part in Australia in general electronic stores, so it should be the same for the country you are from as well.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HM3211&keywords=terminal&form=KEYWORD

Here is a pic of what you are talking about on my build from what I understand. See the little white plastic thing, which is what I got from my computer to make the setting of the R44 in circuit or not. I have it not shorted on the pic, and it is actually hanging off the last pin.
1176check2.jpg

If you are from Australia, I will send you some for your build, just pay for postage.

Ringwraith said:

Thanks
Sean

Your question has been answered in this very thread.
Here's a tip for searching long threads like this one.
Hit the "Print" button in the upper right.
gdiy_print_thread.gif

This opens the entire thread in one continuous page.
Now use your browser's search function (Ctrl+F / Apple+F) to find what you're looking for.

Using the above questions as an example, search for "3 pin"
The first result you find is pantsonfire asking for the Mouser part number for the same part.
The very next post is a reply containing the part number for the terminal and jumper.
gdiy_search_1176D_3pin.gif

I have found that if you ask a question around here, and you don't get a reply it's not that no one knows the answer...it's probably just that the question has been answered several times before.
I don't mean any offense...just trying to help.

Thanks guys for your answers!  ;D

Skylar awesome tip about hitting print for these long threads. Will come in handy fersure!

Cheers
Sean

???
Hi guys I have a problem that I can solve ninth
I have 29.2 instead of 30
-8.9 instead of -10
If I connect the ratio  board -7.6 ???
Can you help me?

across the torroidal I have 28 -0-28...
Thanks

Hi guys
I just finished the first rev D but I have problems ...
When I bring the output to zero the meter goes crazy and goes to full scale (+3)
if unlink xlr out everything returns to normal

could be the connections of 5002?
brown
white black
White Red
grey
violet

and then still have
-8 Instead of -10
29.2 instead of 30 ??? ??? ???

Back