Spectra Sonics 610 input cap

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigmorris74

GDIY Supporter
I was looking inside my Spectra Sonics 610 complimiter and noticed there was a terrible looking .47 uF ceramic cap on the input. I'm probably going to install XLR jacks on the rear of the unit in a couple of days, and was wondering what the function of this cap was, and whether or not I shloud replace it. It goes from pin 1 to ground chassis ground.

Thanks,

Craig

"for safety reasons" might be more than a little confused.

There should be absolutely NO reliance on safety on ANY audio ground. The POWER ground should be connected to the case for safety, any audio connector "pin 1" connections -either direct or capacitative- are there for shielding only, and NEVER EVER to be relied upon for safety.

It is for this precise reason that you NEVER lift a power ground... if you plug into a shield-lifted audio unit, you have NO protection. You solve audio problems at the audio connections, and you solve safety problems at the power connection.

Keith

I stand corrected, thanks Kieth.....a shield's a shield......

PS been spending too much time on acoustics lately

Hehehe...

I just goofed big time in the 9V-48V converter thread... no harm done I hope!

it's just a pet peeve of mine when people lose sight of which ground you HAVE to keep for safety and which wire you can lose, and it can be as lethal as cutting the wrong wire when defusing a bomb.

Under the new European Union laws for lectrical safety, the person who removes a power ground connection is liable in the event of any later elctrocution... :shock:

That's why I came to the USA... I had to leave town after a marathon hum-reduction session just before a massive outdoor music festival in Manchester, the rain-capital-city of England! :twisted:

Shhhh!!!

Keef

PS: -You ain't seen me... -right? :wink:

Latest posts

Back