Real Mic from a Chinese Toy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tablebeast;

I agree with Gus that if to use the capsule straight without equalization it sounds like a crap. But if to use it with Shoeps' toyish amp it is more than a crap: it is a real garbage. But with a decent amp and proper equalization it sounds great. However, it is great on vocals, for a full-range mic equalization needs to be a bit different, if ever possible. Later I am going to try a LC-network instead of that single cap in feedback.

[quote author="CroatianSensation"]Wavebourn,

I'm not sure what that tune is about but I made me smile. :green:[/quote]

Edit: I put another sample.

I apologize for my strangely worded sentence. Proof reading is always a plus. :roll:
I think it made me smile because it made me think me of the Tambouritza music my Grandparents listened to when I was a kid.
No matter what the material was it sounded good!

[quote author="tablebeast"][quote author="Gus"]I don't believe it if you have the stock SD capsule still in the microphone.

Careful I believe People take stuff and redesign their products from this sites posts.[/quote]

Damn dude, shut up! Every single time someone tries to mod or tweak a mic that is currently in production you bitch and moan about how crappy the stock capsule is or how you were SOOO wronged by some horrible Chinese monster corporation that raped all your good ideas and left you with nothing. Poor baby. If you aren't going to be supportive or constructive then don't comment. I know this is off topic itself but you put the same off topic post on every single mic mod post and no one ever gives you shit about it, Gus. Well I AM! I know you have offered good advice and tips before but if you troll a site like this just waiting to 'warn' people about sharing their mods then you can just keep it to yourself. Why does everything need to be compensated with money? Doesn't it make you feel good that you possibly have improved these shitty mics into something more? Isn't the modding some kind of 'democracy in action'? Too much noise and not enough signal, GUS.[/quote]

Wow!!!
Hey Tablebeast, what is your point? What is the significance of your contribution into this thread?

If you can then discuss this particular capsule design flaws in this particular microphone, otherwise please shut up and listen what grown up uncles are talking about.

Manners, manners! I feel like I logged onto a PSW forum.

It's not impossible to disagree or offer advice politely.

You'll have me believing that not too many debating team alumni got interested in electronics.

And for what it's worth I find all of Gus' post about mics to be pretty much on the money.

[quote author="Wavebourn"]
I saw a decent mic body made from a fencing pole. :grin: [/quote]

i used that. it's a bitch to cut.

[quote author="Wavebourn"]

180px-Foil-2004-A.jpg

How'd they fit the electronics in there? :green:

Sorry for the off-topic, but this thread could use some levity.

[quote author="skipwave"][quote author="Wavebourn"]

180px-Foil-2004-A.jpg

How'd they fit the electronics in there? :green:
[/quote]

Easy! :grin:

I used to glue wires to such things with epoxy rosin, when my friend Gena Tyshler taught me to use "the pole" :grin:

http://www.fencingschool.co.za/

Every epee has a socket to connect so called body wire that in turn is connected to the electronics which is digital, unlike microphone amps.

begin%20set.jpg

The difference between epee and foils is that one works on opening the copntact, another works on closing the contact, while microphone is analog device.

Page 8 bottom right is close not exact.

I knew I saw that type of circuit before in a NS book.

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-32.pdf

Nice use for the circuit bypassing one of the gain setting resistors with a cap simple but nice.

[quote author="Gus"]Page 8 bottom right is close

I knew I saw that type of circuit before in a NS book.

http://www.national.com/an/AN/AN-32.pdf[/quote]

Yep.

"Nothing new under the moon". I did not invent the circuit, it is obvious, but the best for this particular case.

The FET supplies current to base of the BJT, it is loaded on a very low dynamic resistance so Miller capacitance is negligible. Also, essential to FETs 2'nd order distortion is low.
Also, it is bootstrapped by series feedback by voltage so resulting input impedance is very high, output resistance is low. The cap in feedback equalizes capsule's resonance.

KISS, gentlemen, and you'll be happy! ;)

Here is the final schemo, for your convenience, in the original thread:

WavebournMXL770Mod.gif

I wanted to use an inductance in series with C3 for better equalization, but found that it is impossible to match electrical resonance against mechanical one without appropriate acoustical measurement tools. I sent e-mail to MXL suggesting to help them, but they ignored it.

[quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="Wavebourn"]KISS, gentlemen, and you'll be happy! ;)[/quote]

I'm not kissing any gentlemen, no matter how nicely you ask!!!

keef[/quote]

Sorry, It is an old acronym: "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" :cool:

seems as if this should be a sister thread to the u87 rolloff thread.

Since most chinese capsules are knockoffs of the u87 type of capsule, most capsules have that high end hype that the rolloff circuit takes care of..

at least it seems that way.

Has anyone tried a chinese capsule with the u87 electronics?

[quote author="Svart"]seems as if this should be a sister thread to the u87 rolloff thread.

Since most chinese capsules are knockoffs of the u87 type of capsule, most capsules have that high end hype that the rolloff circuit takes care of..

at least it seems that way.

[/quote]

Yes, but not exactly.

High end harshness is combination of boost and distortions. Without distortions it would be easy to remove the boost using a parametric EQ, but It did not help, so I made my amp, after that harshness disapeared and I could equalize highs using high end roll-off on the channel strip. Later, for convenience, I put a cap into the mic (C3, see schematic), so no need for a channel strip EQ anymore, except when I want to add some sneaky peaks to some amateur singers.

Again, that boost is a well known comb-effect, it starts on about 9.5 KHz and repeat above the audio band. No capsules of finite thinness free from it. Capsules for up to 20 KHz have to be at least twice thinner.

By the way, here is the record from home concert. Both guitar and male voice were recorded by this modified microphones. Record made from the same output that goes to amp and speakers.

http://wavebourn.com/male_sample.mp3

[quote author="Wavebourn"][quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="Wavebourn"]KISS, gentlemen, and you'll be happy! ;)[/quote]

keef[/quote]

Sorry, It is an old acronym: "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" :cool:[/quote]
I think keef knows that - he was trying to lighten up the thread
bloody scousers - "caaaalllmmm down - oi oi oi"

[quote author="uk03878"][quote author="Wavebourn"][quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="Wavebourn"]KISS, gentlemen, and you'll be happy! ;)[/quote]

keef[/quote]

Sorry, It is an old acronym: "Keep It Simple, Stupid!" :cool:[/quote]
I think keef knows that - he was trying to lighten up the thread
bloody scousers - "caaaalllmmm down - oi oi oi"[/quote]

Can you add please something on-topic? Keef did. You?

Back