Hybrid As Always

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analag

Hybreed.JPG

For those who want to try something a little different from the run of the mill stuff.

The Gain control is 10K. The design is flexible enough for you to try different combination of tubes, even a nice 1:1 input transformer could be used in place of the input caps and if you use a 2:1 output transformer, you end up with a cap-less hybrid mic pre.

Plenty of gain and headroom.

analag

[quote author="King_Cruiser"]Nice to see people thinking OTB.
[/quote]

That's my MO.
icon_wink.gif

I find the GE clear top 5965 and 6N1P to compliment the sound very well.
5965 are notorious for mismatched pairs in the bottle, so matching is critical if this tube is used.

analag

Generous of you to share that one.... thanks, I'm gonna study it and hopefully learn something.

This circuit is designed for high gain, high headroom and transparency.
I do have a few more ideas, but this is a simple circuit and it should be kept simple.

analag

[quote author="Michael Krusch"]How does it sound?[/quote]

Like a symmetrical amp. Push-pull sound guarranteed even with SE power amp.

[quote author="Wavebourn"][quote author="Michael Krusch"]How does it sound?[/quote]

Like a symmetrical amp. Push-pull sound guarranteed even with SE power amp.[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha....thats a better answer than I could come up with.
How does it sound....big and clear with lots of micro dynamics and a very black background. Very vivid 3 dimensionality. I could go on.

analag

[quote author="analag"][quote author="Wavebourn"][quote author="Michael Krusch"]How does it sound?[/quote]

Like a symmetrical amp. Push-pull sound guarranteed even with SE power amp.[/quote]

Ha ha ha ha....thats a better answer than I could come up with.
How does it sound....big and clear with lots of micro dynamics and a very black background. Very vivid 3 dimensionality. I could go on.

analag[/quote]

Sorry, I forgot to add: very clean push-pull sound. ;)

[quote author="babyhead"]Do you have a picture of your build?

I like.[/quote]

Yes I do, in fact it's such a great sounding pre, I made a few....so which one.

analag

Your design ethic is so very interesting and clean, it made me curious as to your construction techniques and parts selection.

...so whatever you've got.

This looks like something to build after I get a few more scratch builds under my belt.

:guinness:

analag-- you said 5965s are notoriusly mismatched, are there good substitutes that tend to be better matched? I've heard due to the way tubes are made it is impossible to manufacture matching tubes, does that sentament apply to twin-triode tubes?

The 5965 is a twin triode. It is said the 12AT7 is a substitue, but I think a 6N1P is closer. Anyway with it's notoriety for having mismatched twins in the glass, I would buy more than I needed and select the closest ones.

analag

I don't think I have the vernacular down, sorry. :wink: So are there any twin-triodes that are matched in glass? Or is it really not that much of a bother to find a close enough pair?
I'm guessing that tube manufacturers wern't worried about matched triodes as most designers kept to single-ended exept for the poweramps?

Back