Lollypop Mic Heads & AKG C28A ??????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

Found these Lollypops

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/14477

was wondering if I can adapt a AKG C28A that I gave to work with 1 of these capsules the C28A is electret ....so wouldnt work.. would I be able to change the C28A electronics, I understand they not much different to a C12 electronics ...I think the schematics are here somewhere I will have a look, any1 see a reason why this might not work ??

many thanks ..................Gary O.

hey gary! seems you´re into a loong search for a vocal mic, many threads about it:)
i didnt hear the capsule, but from what i read about it it should be a good capsule. afte all this is a diy forum, so why dont you build a g7 circuit and go with this capsule?

Yeah my heads buzzing at the mo pardon the pun, Ive already made the G7 circuit too, could buy a head, they do lots of different vintage heads could try the G7 mod, the C28A try the royer, try some FETs, just bin offered the violet Pre that screws right onto the lollypops for knock down price too ...........oh what to do what to !!!!, was gonna go out and buy UAD 1 DSP card too....ordered parts for 1176 clone must stay calm ....1 thing at a time.

Cheers a panicing ...Gary O.

[quote author="gary o"] the C28A is electret ....[/quote]

Really? I don't think so!

There are a few heads which you can fit on here. Also, are there not bayonet adapters to let you use Neumann capsules?

That capsule was an omni head - I think I'd maybe go for cardioid if I were going for a single pattern for vocals.

Roddy

Ahh thats good news the CK1 I have read about is a new electret version CK1B, sorry about that so the violet heads should work then I dont know about the fitting side of things I will phone violet now, it was there 67 cardoid capsule I wanted ....oo oo this is good news

Thanx ..................Gary O.

Gary, apparently there are CK12 capsules which can be mounted on these mics. That would essentially give you a (later) C12.

There is one capsule by AKG who's name I can't remember which will certainly fit that thread, otherwise a thread adapter may help.

gary

the 3 C28a's I have here at the moment definately are not electret.

You should look at the BLUE capsules. They do a CK12 "style" capsule that will screw straight onto a C60 C61 C28a/b/c or C451. Generally dealers don't stock it but it is available

Hiya Rob, cool !!! thanks guys yeah the new CK1 is electret im so pleases ours arnt, found this while lookin about ..Knew id seen it in the past

http://www.runturkeyrun.co.uk/emh/akg2neumann.htm

I just created a monster hacked head off of dead solid tube and made a hiddious adaptor from a pickle jar lid some nails and a piece of laminate flooring hahaha....but it works

Cheers ............Gary O.

[quote author="gary o"]
http://www.runturkeyrun.co.uk/emh/akg2neumann.htm
[/quote]

You can buy these (cheaper) occasionally on Ebay if you search worldwide.

I've used the electret CK91 (the electret equivalent of the CK1) and it was ok - we used them for Classical recording. I did compare it with an SE electronics SDC and preferred the SE - it had a nicer high-end, whereas the AKG was a little hard.

Just ordered the Violet Vin 67 Lollypop head that I will make fit tha C28A with a bit of DIY perhaps i'll let you know how it goes thanks for your ideas and comments :grin:

Cheers.......................Gary O.

Does the C28 have the same threads as the C60/61/451/452?? I seem to remember that it does.

There was a guy on ebay who had made some adaptors to fit on akg mic's that would hold a Neumann capsule, this might be worth while looking into. They were fairly expensive and I don't think he made a whole lot of them. This is probably worthwhile looking into. Also isn't there a C4 head that used the same brass capsule as the C12's?

I think the C28A is same fitting as the 451 types mics the other guys will know im sure, I not sure about the C4 stuff too, theres a link in my prevous post for that adaptor thing im on a bit of a budget so im gonna see if I can Diy something, maybe out of a copper pipe or somethin.

Tanks .......................Gary O.

[quote author="Twist Turner"]Does the C28 have the same threads as the C60/61/451/452?? I seem to remember that it does.
[/quote]

This is true as I previously stated.

If you buy a BLUE capsule they do speciial versions that screw straight on. i.e you don't need the bayonet adaptor, which is posibly a good ting when dealing with very small hi Z signals.

The guy who makes the Neumann bayonet adaptors that sell on ebay is the same one as here
http://www.runturkeyrun.co.uk/emh/akg2neumann.htm !

Cheers rob same link as above I think bit pricy for me tho hence the DIY, I did check out the Blue heads and other spin offs one called Red one called Vintage something I think, all in US and more money also the Blue & Red are connected to the Violet company who also make one that fits the C28A but more money again, I got a deal on the VIN67 head so I will find a way to connect it to the C28A gotta watch the pennies.

Cheers .............................Gary O.

Yippy! VIN 67 Lollypop came today ...out with the gaffa tape & C28A couldnt wait to try it and I liked it, tried it on 7 different tube mic pres thru LA2A now I cant make my mind up which pre I like it with, the mic seems to bring out the differences in the mic pres, I feel like a painter whos just been given some coloured paints when all I had was black & white.been thinking all day of ways I can attach it to the C28A I have a few so far.

Cheers..........................Gary O.

Haha you might not wanna well as the lolly doesnt fit the C28 and I couldnt wait to hear it ,I gotta find a proper way to connect the two and without damaging either I have couple of plans, brass would be quite good for the main connector pin right ?

Cheers..........................Gary O.

Latest posts

Back