1U rack boxes manufacturing?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Is it possible to order somewhere good'n cheap 1U boxes with custom predrilled holes and lettering on front and rear panels?

[quote author="guy_4"]Same question as above but in Europe ?

Guy[/quote]

Here is a topic in the "Black Market" forum about Europe.

[quote author="drpat"]We could use a North American Perusha![/quote]

I'd like to! :grin:

Um- Par-metal will do custom jobs including punching and silk screens.

$85 per panel for CNC programming for front and rear panel.
$10-50 per tool for punching tooling, NC for standard round/rectangular
$100 per screen setup for silkscreen, $1-2 per panel for printing.
2-3 week delivery for small runs.

http://www.par-metal.com/

I should add - these prices are as of April of 2006 according to their site.

Ya, they wanted 50 bucks to punch 4 XLR holes. It was gonna cost me more than the chassis did... or a Greenlee punch. Something that probably takes them 5 minutes to do. Holy crap, that's $550 per hour!

What does "standard" mean?

The silkscreen price sounds good, if we can get enough people interested. Then again, we could probably do the ultra-pimp Frontpanelexpress thing too with enough people.

Re: Par-Metal - I think it would be good to get together a "generic" design, say for a stereo compressor based on an existing board set and send it in to them for a quote. The descriptions of their charges does leave a lot to the imagination.

[quote author="drpat"]Are you volunteering? If you are, I need a quad mic pre case, and a GSSL case![/quote]

No, it is not my hobby. My strength is in design.

I'm trying to get to this, it's just been hard to do so. We definitely need a North American Purusha because of the shipping costs.

I have the silkscreening lined up, but I'm having a hard time with the chassis' and punching, still waiting on various quotes.

I'll get there, I swear.

[quote author="Ptownkid"]I'm trying to get to this, it's just been hard to do so. We definitely need a North American Purusha because of the shipping costs.

I have the silkscreening lined up, but I'm having a hard time with the chassis' and punching, still waiting on various quotes.

I'll get there, I swear.[/quote]

Ok,

if I order for myself manufacturing of 19' boxez, 1U height, 4.5' depth, without predrilled holes, who will buy some of them, and what is a reasonable price?

[quote author="RogerFoote"]4.5" depth is restrictive! Realistically, it just leaves 3" for PCB real estate.

OK for commercial stuff where all panel components are PCB mounted, but for DIY?[/quote]

So, what is the better size? 9 inches?

I don't need bigger for myself, but if it helps me to save ordering bigger quantity I will go with a bigger size!

I've found 2.25' a bit restrictive and desided to go with twice bigger one:

micpre-back.gif

[quote author="RogerFoote"]Well, as long as you mount everything on the outside rear apron, go for it.

If you have pots and swithes on the front, fuseholders, XLRs etc on the back even 5" is a bit shallow.[/quote]

Is 6" Ok?

Let's wait for other folks...

Am I still missing something? Wouldn't it just be easier to buy from Par-Metal or someone and design the front/rear panels on Front Panel designer and have the guys in Seattle drill/engrave the panels?

May not be the cheapest chassis in the world. But the build quality is good and they're very prompt. Front Panel Express has increased prices significantly since a couple years ago when I had my Green Pre panel made. But it's still worth it.

Just look at the various Green Pre projects people have done. Using the same boards everyone has a slightly different take on how the panels layout. It would be hard to make a one-size-fits-all layout that everyone would be happy with.

The reason I didn't go for Purusha's G9 chassis was that I wasn't thrilled with the Gain and Output scales. 0-100 what, %? Reduction? and the Lorlins are individual steps, not continuously variable so all those extra divisions were useless.

By using Front Panel Express, you can design the panel around your components, rather than having to choose your parts by what fits on the pre-done panel.

Just my $0.02

Daniel

Latest posts

Back