1U rack boxes manufacturing?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 inches is too big for me. I will go with 6 inch deepth.

Anyone who wants to share some with me?

The manufacturer is a friend of a friend of mine, I hope prices will be very reasonable. I think if I order boxes with punched holes for my design they may be not usable for others.

Of course, I may offer kits, but PCBs and some other stuff is not ready yet...

I plan to build mic pres with tube ins and solid state outs.

Here is what I am going to put on the front pannel:

micpre-2.gif

A box with 8 XLR's and a square IEC hole on the back would do for most people. If all 8 XLR holes aren't going to be filled, you could just use those XLR hole covers.

A few front panels could be designed and sold separately. A dual and quad mic pre design come to mind as a front panel that everybody could use. A pot, 3 switches and one DI hole per channel would be something that pretty much would be standard with most of us. Just use hole caps to cover what you don't use.

[quote author="drpat"]A box with 8 XLR's and a square IEC hole on the back would do for most people. If all 8 XLR holes aren't going to be filled, you could just use those XLR hole covers.

A few front panels could be designed and sold separately. A dual and quad mic pre design come to mind as a front panel that everybody could use. A pot, 3 switches and one DI hole per channel would be something that pretty much would be standard with most of us. Just use hole caps to cover what you don't use.[/quote]

May be it is better to punch holes instead of closing them by caps?

Also, XLR male and female holes are different.

[quote author="Ptownkid"]that's why most of us use d series exclusively.[/quote]

What is d series? :shock:

d series XLR connectors are the standard XLR shape that is universal between male and female connectors.

If there's no holes on the back, what would be the difference between a standard Par-Metal chassis and yours. Nothing...

Besides, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier to screw one of these over an XLR hole, than it is to punch a hole.

DBA.JPG

And they make the back look great for just 90 cents...

Par-Metal already has a great reputation for making a good quality product for a reasonable price. So, I'd just do the Par-Metal thing if you're gonna punch your own anyways.

I went on Par-Metal site, 12-19072x is what would satisfy me, but I still can't find prices there...

Edit: found them...

$62-$45 a piece... :shock:

i have fabricated many boxes from sheet metal and 1/4" aliminum sheet stock...you really can't beat a pre-made chassis unles you are building several of the same unit. i made 4 2u boxes of 16ga. galvanized for tube amps, i got bought the stock--cut to size and did the layout and paid for the bending: worked out to like 15-20$ per box...not including several hours of detail work, painting, threading , countersinking, etc...they look pretty good, but a prefab job and custom panel is really the way to go if you don't have days to spend fabricating chassis'.

check the metas there are many manufacturers

[quote author="drpat"]d series XLR connectors are the standard XLR shape that is universal between male and female connectors.
[/quote]

Where do you source that D series sockets?

[quote author="RogerFoote"]Mouser, Markertek etc...

Neutrik
NC3MD
NC3FD
[/quote]

Thanks!

Btw, that is a nicely machined case you have there! Done on a CNC mill?

No, made from aluminum sheets. I am ordering hundred of similar cases twice deeper for further prototyping.

I found that the constant battle to find little boxes and 1RU rack enclosures was such a recurring source of headache that I got an extrusion made
1RU_extr.JPG

good for both rack enclosures
1RUBox.JPG

and little boxes
DMXsplit.JPG

The top and bottom slots fit 1.2mm ali or steel ond the screw channels
fit #6 panhead self tappers. A bit of an upfront outlay but has saved much
time since. The little groove in the back of the front web locates the "tit"
on my ironworker press tools for centrally mounting XLR connectors etc.
Anyone is free to use or improve on the design.
M
[/img]

http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

Not sure how to post pictures but I just got in these
19" 1 Rack space 5 1/4" Deep 1U chassis's have about 14 instock
If the above link doesn't work I set an account in the picture
gallery or email me for a picture.

I want $12.50each
Plus shipping.

Any Interest - - - -

Steve @ Apex Jr.
www.apexjr.com

[quote author="APEX JR."]http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

19" 1 Rack space 1U chassis's have about 14 instock

I want $12.50each
Plus shipping.

Any Interest - - - -

Steve @ Apex Jr.
www.apexjr.com[/quote]

Hi Steve,

I'll amail you.

Anatoliy

[quote author="APEX JR."]http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0

19" 1 Rack space 5 1/4" Deep 1U chassis's have about 14 instock
[/quote]

Steve, are these a constant supple or a one off?

One Shot...
They were part of a deal I picked up. Once there gone thats it.

The one thing however I've learned visiting forums like this
are what to look for when I go out on deals

Enclosures
Heat Sinks
Transformers

Always looking and sometimes don't get enough of them to put on the
website so they sit in my warehouses and wait for someone to either
see them or ask for them.

Steve

Back