questions about g7 grounding.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seavote

my project is progressing.psu trannies are mounted and hooked up. pcb(gustav)populated and installed. i'm about to wire up the xlrs and 3 way switch. i want to see if i understand the grounding for the project correctly. gyraf writes
"Connect power gnd to signal gnd at the output xlr."
as i understand it i will wire the ground lug on the output xlr to the ground lug on my ac inlet. the ground(0v) coming off the pcb goes to the mic via pin 1 of the 7 pin xlr and to the output via pin 1 of the output xlr. is pin 1(0n the output xlr) connected to the ground lug internally in the xlr? if not, i dont understand where the 0v rail finds its way back to earth ground. should i jump the connection bteween ground lug and pin 1 on the output xlr?
somewhere in the metas gyraf also wrote that heater 0v,ht 0v should be grounded at one point preferably in the mic.
i understand this to mean pin 1(ht ) and pin 7(heater) should connect with the transformer ground(as shown on the schematic) on the mic body. is this correct?

hey,

just connect the three grounds (HT, Heaters & signal) together at the 7-pin xlr from the microphone.
pin1 of the 3-pin xlr in the psu goes to pin1 of the 7-pin xlr (signal ground)

hope that helps,

-max

thanks. i see. i just thought that the psu chasis would be grounded somewhere. also those nice big ground lugs on the xlr tricked me into thinking they must be used.an electrician friend told me to jump each lug to the others and ground everything at chasis ground. i've done some reading(the circuit designers companion,tim williams) and see that less grounding(single point) is better. less chance for loops and less resistance in the 0v rail.

Latest posts

Back