Broken pin Neve input transformer - Repair technique

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazz

Hello Audio wizards, I have a couple of Neve input transformers that have a broken pin. Before I try my idea I thought I would check to see if anyone has repaired a broken pin with success. Any tips ?

Thanks, :shock:

Are you sure the pin was there in the first place?
Some Neve input iron has a hole where the other model sticks a pin.

If it was there, and is now busted off, you can easlly dis assemble the xfmr by unscrewing the side plates.

The hard black epoxy, hopefully, has not completely covered up the colored leads.

Simply re solder the lead to the pin that you have cleverly fashioned from a 2 watt resistor lead or some buss wire.

Let me know if you need any pics for help.
Or serach one of the Maribair disects.

Are you sure the pin was there in the first place?

Oh ya, I was the fool that broke em off. Lesson to learn "Wire your Neve transformers last. The old ones can be very fragile since they have been handled soldered and resoldered who knows how many times.

CJ, does the black plastic cover come off? I tried removing one and decided not to since it did not feel like coming off so I didnt want to make things worse. I was thinking of using a dremel and grinding away a small portion of the black plastic then soldering a new lead.

Thanks, CJ
:thumb:

CJ, I will take you up on your offer regarding photos. I started to work on it and it felt like I was operating on my wife. I don't want to cause any more damage.

A little more info for you. This transformer has the following markings.

LI, 31267 in white paint on the sides.

Black top with (11) pins a black decal of pinout also on top including part number T 1459

PS you mentioned screws on the side plates. You must be speaking of the Marniar version. This transformer has screws on the top and bottom, not on the sides.

Well I took a deeper look and would be interested to hear your opinion. This is what I see. 1st off the black cap is not epoxy it is plastic, below that is epoxy.

1) Resoldering to the existing base of the pin does not work. The pin appears to be coated with what ever and solder will stick to that. However, the material of the pin itself from the outer wall to the center is not consistent and is an alloy I believe. Bottom line, aint shit gonna stick to it as far as solder goes.

2) The only way I see to put a bandaid on a situation like this is to drill thru the epoxy with a tiny jewlers drill bit, and solder at the lower base of the pin at the point of connection where the wire is attached to the pin. At this location the material is solder friendly. Off course by the time you do all this you could have made more money working at a hamburger stand and just replaced the transformer.

But , thats not the DIY spirit is it? :green: It's to interesting to learn more about these little Gems.

Anyway thats my thought. I have pics now of the inside of the trannsformer which I will post asap. You really can't fuck with this too much. It's almost booby trapped. If you lift the black plastic cap off, the one that holds the pins, the ground wires... about four that I saw would be ripped away. There is no slack ! So, full on disassembly would tear it up.

My conclusion:

Micro drill a hole and re attach below the base of the pin. Hope this makes sense.

:thumb:

Im finished it works it's loaded wired and rockin. One more to fix. I'll wait CJ probably has a better idea.

A little bit of putty a little bit of paint, "Make it what it aint"

Trying to get some good close up pics so the group can use them if need be. Having a hard time getting good focus very close up with a small item.

Here's what she looks like inside.

http://www.coolfilmmusic.com/t1.jpg

http://www.coolfilmmusic.com/t2.jpg

Remember folks:

A little bit of putty a little bit of paint, "Make it what it aint"

Once ya know what to do it's not to bad.

Jazz, you might try scraping the pin with an exacto knife.

Also, the black stuff will become more workable if you heat it up, but don't melt the solder connectons on the good leads!

cj

re: heat it up.

I wish I would have thought of that, heating it up..maybe a heatshrink gun. :shock:

OK, will try both on the next one.

Call me Rog or Roger. Jazz was the dogs name.

OK Roger....BTW.....I wanna be called Jaz now.... with one z.... :green: (Yeah I'm a dick)... :sam:

:green:

Really? I would prefer to change my handle, not sure why the heck I typed it in. Possibly one of those all nighters building audio boxs drinking beer and talking to the dog.

Why one Z? does it mean something, or you just pulling my leg. I remember your posting at one time something like "Let ye who is without error cast the first stone" That was cool. When that scene happened I was getting railed hard, and probably needed that.... to see what a inconsiderate selfish dick I was being.

But it was like a cool breeze when a couple of folks actually responded with kindness instead of more thrashing. THAT yielded a turn in my attitude and thinking. I thought to myself "Thats how I should behave and treat folks"

I'm a work in progress, a bit messed up...most likely to due a very abusive childhood in Chicago Ill.

Can't remember all the cool folks, SSL guy, CJ, you, a gentlemen that came to my studio to buy some mics. What a lesson......internet spankings can be ruthless.

It's funny how your avatar and language go together perfect. Smooooooooooooooooooooth. You should be a shrink you would be rich.

Peace :thumb: :green:

I was pulling your leg... :green: ..if we all wanted to be called other names..... hell.... actually Jaz is my 5 year old daughter's middle name....one z.....wanted to be different.

I just read the post re: your rotty in the Brewery....it's always sad to lose a loved pet. I wouldn't have written that post if I'd seen that first. Yar... change your handle.... call yourself Jesus...lord knows you got nailed on the cross often enough.... :green:

Cya... :thumb:

By any chance CJ was that you that helped me trouble shoot that 1st La2a I built? I know the Avatar was different and the web site was different also at that time. Who ever it was...you remind me of him.
:?:

Back