Aphex Compellor 320A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissugar

A couple of month ago I bought one at a very good price, and I like it a lot.
I read some top mastering engineers use an upgraded version of this unit for mastering. It is a bit noisy as is, so I think an upgrade (better chips, better caps, better PSU, leaving out some not needed circuits) would lower the noise and make it more transparent.
Question is anyone has a schemo for this unit?
Also would be interested in the circuit of the Dominator II.

chrissugar

[quote author="chrissugar"]Also would be interested in the circuit of the Dominator II.[/quote] :shock:
yeah ... uh
so would a lot of people

I have a Compellor service manual somewhere, what I remember of the circuits is that there are 2 blank boxes which contain their "secret" stuff, although the Patents for them are available.

A while ago, the resident llama, Jaakko Viitalähde , mentioned over at PSW that he had picked one up ( actually, it may have been the earlier 300 version) and was looking at mods for it. Maybe he'll chime in.

karl

I'll risk it

I'll tuck it out the back with the other risky stuff at the factory

perhaps just a single crosslink here in a thread at the factory

[quote author="StephenGiles"]I have a Compellor service manual somewhere, what I remember of the circuits is that there are 2 blank boxes which contain their "secret" stuff, although the Patents for them are available.[/quote]

Yes there are some blackbox units in the compellors. They are the Aphex 1001 VCAs. They cost 15$ plus shipping direct from Aphex.

For what version is your documentation? From the info I gathered there is the old 300 mono compellor with exciter, the old stereo 300 without exciter, and the new 320 version.
If you can, please scan only the schematic and send it to my way (email under my signature).

[quote author="BYacey"]I have a manual for the Dominator II. Anybody want to host the schematic?[/quote]

That is great news Bill. Please send the info if possible. :grin:

chrissugar

[quote author="chrissugar"][quote author="StephenGiles"]I have a Compellor service manual somewhere, what I remember of the circuits is that there are 2 blank boxes which contain their "secret" stuff, although the Patents for them are available.[/quote]

Yes there are some blackbox units in the compellors. They are the Aphex 1001 VCAs. They cost 15$ plus shipping direct from Aphex.

For what version is your documentation? From the info I gathered there is the old 300 mono compellor with exciter, the old stereo 300 without exciter, and the new 320 version.
If you can, please scan only the schematic and send it to my way (email under my signature).

[quote author="BYacey"]I have a manual for the Dominator II. Anybody want to host the schematic?[/quote]

That is great news Bill. Please send the info if possible. :grin:

chrissugar[/quote]

It seems that it is plain Compellor 300 with no exciter. I have scanned the circuits and parts lists - fairly large files for legibility as I scanned from a zerox copy I found. My original manual is their somewhere. The potted sections are Dynamic Recovery Computer and another I can't remember right now.

[quote author="Kev"]I'll risk it

I'll tuck it out the back with the other risky stuff at the factory

perhaps just a single crosslink here in a thread at the factory[/quote]

Kev - do you want to host the Compellor circuits?

The patent for the Dynamic Verification Gate is 4578648 and for the Dynamic Recovery Computer is possibly 5896458 (I'm not sure about that), but maybe someone can perform some magic and come up with the missing sections from the circuit, and even the mods for THAT 2180 or similar!

Hey Stephen, thank you for the schematic.
Even if it is not the 320A, it is a good adition to the collection. :thumb:

chrissugar

[quote author="StephenGiles"]The patent for the Dynamic Verification Gate is 4578648 and for the Dynamic Recovery Computer is possibly 5896458 (I'm not sure about that), but maybe someone can perform some magic and come up with the missing sections from the circuit, and even the mods for THAT 2180 or similar![/quote]

Any offers??

Back