Great River MP-2 , info, schematics & discussions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dmp said:
Looking at the schematic, I'd check the junction of R8 & R9 next - which is the input to the first transistor stage.
I don't have any signal on R8 & R9 junction.

I have signal on J4 pin2. But not on pin 3 !
I wonder if I have a wrong jack female socket.

(I bought this preamp half done. So haven't sourced much parts myself)

Shorting J4 pin2-3. Loud and clear signal on output :)

So, what is the correct jack socket
Mono BNB?

socket-1-4-jack-switched-2pole

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-6-35MM-Mono-Stereo-Headphone-Microphone-Jack-1-4-Panel-ZF-Hot-Socket-/271841208086?hash=item3f4affa716:g:gYUAAOSw2XFUZcBO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-6-35-mm-1-4-Female-Mono-Jack-Socket-Panel-PCB-Welding-free-shipping-new-/191652564422?hash=item2c9f620dc6:g:6uoAAOSwstxVVKVs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4inch-6-35mm-Mono-Jack-Socket-Panel-Mounting-Connector-Switched-JS22-/191441769921?hash=item2c92d195c1:m:mi6PXqBU-U2P4rceedo_Vxw
?

Ok, got some info here:
http://www.switchcraft.com/Documents/Jack_Schematics.pdf
NC - normally connected must be the thing for me.

Although after looking at your picture I think you wired the DI jack wrongly.
It's acting like a switch. Normally the brown and white cables are connected. But if you insert a cable it cuts that connection.

The Frizzle said:
Although after looking at your picture I think you wired the DI jack wrongly.
It's acting like a switch. Normally the brown and white cables are connected. But if you insert a cable it cuts that connection.
Thanks a lot Frizzle!

Edit:
Checked. None of the solder-tags are shorting to the other when jack unconnected.

G-Sun said:
Checked. None of the solder-tags are shorting to the other when jack unconnected.

OK but that's not how it should be. If you move that green cable as shown:
Then Red and green are connected aren't they?

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 16
A switching  jack  breaks the connection from the secondary of the input xfmr to the preamp and then takes it from the 1/4 " cable directly when it is plugged in 

The jack has 6 pins?  basically you need a jack that breaks the connection on the signal  / tip pin
the jack should have two pins at the very end that with an ohm meter check they are connected with no jack plugged in
with a jack plugged in these two are disconnected and the tip of the plug should have contact with only one pin [ which goes onto the preamp ] the  ground is always connected to ground and never the tip and not switched , the ground is the pins closest to
opening the " middle pins " rig " if you have them are not used and the tip / signal is at the end opposite the opening
Take an unused jack & plug with a meter and check it out.

okgb said:
A switching  jack  breaks the connection from the secondary of the input xfmr to the preamp and then takes it from the 1/4 " cable directly when it is plugged in 

The jack has 6 pins?  basically you need a jack that breaks the connection on the signal  / tip pin
the jack should have two pins at the very end that with an ohm meter check they are connected with no jack plugged in
with a jack plugged in these two are disconnected and the tip of the plug should have contact with only one pin [ which goes onto the preamp ] the  ground is always connected to ground and never the tip and not switched , the ground is the pins closest to
opening the " middle pins " rig " if you have them are not used and the tip / signal is at the end opposite the opening
Take an unused jack & plug with a meter and check it out.
Thank you!

I ordered these one after asking Klaus Brunner (Das Musikding):
http://www.musikding.de/63mm-Mono-jack-metal-hex-nut-solder-terminals

Yes, I'll do as you suggest, and are confident everything will be fine :)

btw: Seeing how many jack-configurations there are, is a little eye-opener to me.
When buying, is it generally non-switched and switched, then configurable for many types of wirings?
Or, is there 20 or so different types of jack-sockets to buy?
Edit: This image explains it pretty well (just disregard the DPDT to right)
dpdtjack.gif

I noticed noise was
ch1: -40dbfs
ch2: -68dbfs
into my AD on full gain.
Not a huge practical problem for me, but ch1 should be as good as ch2

I've cleaned with 2-propanol. Any easy things to check/fix beside that?

You don't need anything that deals with the ring , basically a mono 1/4" switching jack [ for the tip ]
It's a little harder to see on the switchcraft what is being switched when you plug in but that is what I used
on  a  " Marshall " style jack it's on the outside and obvious, so you need something with three pins,  that all.

Working :)

ch2 seems to work perfect. -63dbfs noise on max. Small resistor error on last step (volume goes down)

ch1, not working yet.  -53dbfs noise on max

This is for swapped boards from last time..
So, I'll check connection and anything but the boards.

Strange,

ch1 is passing line-level audio fine,
but nothing when I plug in my sm58.

Swapped the boards again.
Confirmed that both boards are working fine, although a little more noise on board B.

Checking connections.

Checking input transformer. Cinemag CMMI-5c.
When swapping inputXformers ch 2:
- no mic signal
- but line level signal is ok

Ch1:
- no mic signal
- line level ok

Swapping back to original transfomers

Ch1:
- no mic signal
-  no line signal

Ch2
- line signal peaking
(and giving a ok singnal on power off)
??

Checking inputXformer wiring.
Sometings seems wrong, yet it's 2 wires red and violet comming from one side , 4 wires wht, blk, yel, org comming from the other side.
White is transformer shield. Blk should be core and yel/org +/-  . And this should be secondary according to datesheet. Yet, it's wrong color for violet. That's brn in sheet.
??

I guess there are a couple of errors on ch1.
So, I'' continue with connections-checking.
Those molex-connectors can be a little flimsy it seems, or me doing it to sloppy.

Another thing that has confused me a little is the numbering on the pins.
The numbering her is oposite of number 1 on pins
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=20333.msg269369#msg269369
I believe.  And that's how I've wired it.

Seem like this project is a little over my head.
I should stick with kits and good manuals :)

It's hard to understand what you mean! 
Where does the numbering differ, between PCB and schematic or okgb's decription?
Just one connector or all of them?

Sometings seems wrong, yet it's 2 wires red and violet comming from one side , 4 wires wht, blk, yel, org comming from the other side.
White is transformer shield. Blk should be core and yel/org +/-  . And this should be secondary according to datesheet. Yet, it's wrong color for violet. That's brn in sheet.

Do you talk about  Cinemag CMMI-5c?

According to Cinemags data sheet the wire colours are:

Primary + = brown
Primary center tap -= red
Primary - = orange

Secondary + = yellow
Secondary - = green

Shields are white and black

Thanks Sranda!

Sredna said:

It's hard to understand what you mean! 
Where does the numbering differ, between PCB and schematic or okgb's decription?
Just one connector or all of them?
Sorry for the confusion :)

The molex headers have a label for pin1.
And yes, madriaanse and okgb  has numbered them the opposite way I belive.

Do you talk about  Cinemag CMMI-5c?

According to Cinemags data sheet the wire colours are:

Primary + = brown
Primary center tap -= red
Primary - = orange

Secondary + = yellow
Secondary - = green

Shields are white and black

Yes, Cinemag CMMI-5c

Maybe mine are older, or just the color has changed on them.
See picture
red -brown
and
orange - yellow - white - black

Attachments

• IMG_3832_xfm.jpg
    IMG_3832_xfm.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 35
Anyway,
I've tested the one channel that works,
and it sound great :)

Compared it with my ssl9k

But, as I really don't need both,
I'll sell the HP-2, as is.
Here: http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=60766.msg773238#msg773238

If I'm not able to sell/trade it, or I suddenly see the light,
then I'll troubleshoot some more.

But as it is, I'm a little tired,
and would like to see this unit getting in good hands.

Given there aren't any pictures or information about the MP-2 enclosure sold from Collective Cases: I thought I'd mention that the original Great River DWG PDF file that's posted here is accurate: with the exception of the four XLR holes on the Collective Cases enclosure all being sized for the Neutrik D Series connectors. That is: there are no mounts for Netrik P Series connectors (the drawing shows there are holes for two of each).

Latest posts

Back