new analog tape simulation machine

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthias

http://www.anamodaudio.com/

The ATS-Analog Tape Simulator is the first product that uses the AnaMod process for modeling complex analog circuitry entirely in the analog domain. Specially developed analog building blocks are 'coded' to emulate the behavior of a complex analog system. Unlike digital plug-ins or processor-based outboard gear, there is no latency, and no A/D or D/A conversions to compromise the sound. The result is a faithful recreation of the original response, without using the original analog hardware.

does anyone know more about it...??

At first view I thought this is another dubious, unknown company selling some snake oil, but if you look at the company profile, one of the owners is Greg Gualtieri, the genius behind all the Pendulum audio products.
www.pendulumaudio.com
The other guy is an ex Bombfactory co-founder.

chrissugar

I am going to email them and suggest a Good Singer/Musician Simulation Preamp to go with that.Thats what I need most.
Harry

Well, we have the first info related to this product, from a well respected member at gearslutz (UBIK), owner and user of Studer tape recorders.
He said that this is the first tool that emulates the behaviour of tape machine and tape. Nothing digital, only analog electronics.
The short presentation and some pics with the creators:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=1082297&postcount=129

chrissugar

It looks like this is something special, because there is another enthusiast review:
"First, thanks for pointing out the Greg Gualtieri piece, that Anamod Tape Simulator. That thing is THE BOMB. OFFICIALLY. Guys, I've owned three Studer A827's, as well as some MCI JH24's, then Sony JH24's, along with some vintage Telefunken 2" machines and my trusted ATR102's. I KNOW the sound of tape. And let me tell you, THIS THING NAILS IT. Fully analog, no digital "emulation". Wow. A totally unique and wonderful piece that will REALLY help out in any daw workplace. I can't wait to try it in the studio. And I can't wait to see it next to my pair of Pendulum 6386 units!"

Link here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=1083272&postcount=147

chrissugar

Something in the region of 2500$ but it is just a rumour, nothing oficial.
Probably many of you will say that at this price you can buy the real thing, but if it really can reproduce the tape/tape machine sound it can be used as a realtime plugin, no need to record to tape then transfer to DAW. Not to speak about machine maintenance costs, tape cost and avalability, consumed power etc.
Probably useful as a mastering processor :grin:

chrissugar

Latest news.
List price is 2995$, so probably street price will be a bit lower.

chrissugar

Still not bad for 2 channels.
I wonder how many tape types and machine types are included in that price?

Dennis

3k.... well if it does what it says on the tin, then yes, sound like a deal.

But I'm more interested in the innards than what it does. I have suspicions it's just a glorified bunch of diode saturation networks with variable pre- and de-emphasis filtering paths, with more filtering thrown in for "tape speed" and "type".

sounds fishy to say the least and I want to hear it in action.

I'm also 100% convinced there is no way to emulate the actual media/heads in action (subtle modulation artifacts etc.). Will it be just a glorified stomp box?

Will it be just a glorified stomp box?

Probably.

But that doesnt necceserrraererluy (what!?) have to be a bad thing.

Nonlinear amplification and clipping is an interesting field, and i suspect we will se alot more products like this in the future.

[quote author="chrissugar"]
List price is 2995$,
[/quote]

At $36,000 for a 24 track setup, I'll continue to throw my 2" machine into repro AS I go into Pro Tools. By the time tape stock dries up, they'll probably have the v3 model out that will do 24 tracks for the same price...

Since I'm always skeptical about endorsements, I still wanna play with one for myself. Analogue tape is a two stage process, so I'm curious if it has separate playback and record electronics, so you could record on an Otari and mix on a Studer. I noticed the thing dosen't have a play button...

[quote author="HarryH"]I am going to email them and suggest a Good Singer/Musician Simulation Preamp to go with that.Thats what I need most.
Harry[/quote]

In the mean time, maybe this will help:
thetalent5pg.jpg

Latest posts

Back