A sugestion to improve access to the relevant files

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissugar

Recently I had to search for some files related to some projects, and had to go through tons of pages on each thread to find the relevant files.
I think it would be a good idea from now on, the thread starter to update the first post in the thread with the latest files (schematics, PCB, pictures, BOMs, etc) to make it easyer the access to the files. It would also help alot to know which is the latest revision for each file.
My sugestion is not only for the new threads, it would be great if the old ones would be updated too.

chrissugar

I'm guilty of it too, but I also hate when a thread just dies. It just ends unresolved and stays unresolved. I read through a 6 page thread yesterday, about a piece of rental gear that somebody was going to take pics of. The guy sounded really excited, and then.... nothing.

There's also a lot of missing pictures in some threads that could be refreshed. I think it would be easier to list the project materials such as schematics and PCB files at the very top of the appropriate META page. We could standardize it with a format like:

Revisions: List of revisions (from latest to earliest)

Schematics: List of schematics...

BOMs: List of BOMs...

PCB files: List of PCB files....

Help thread: ...

ETC...

Of course, some of these METAs have been badly neglected, so it would take the dedication of the META master to make this happen...

Good idea, Chris. I'll see that I will keep my threads--at least the new ones--that way.

Of course, some of these METAs have been badly neglected, so it would take the dedication of the META master to make this happen...
Having three METAs to keep myself I often wonder why there are so few contributions to them from other people. I manage to have an eye on all mic preamp and DOA threads to make them appear once in the according META but I'm really to lazy to step through every "which capacitor sounds best?" and "simple resistor question" thread to check its worthiness for the "Passive Components" META. So the people contributing to these threads should really start to replay in the META with the according link if there's any interest in making this a complete overview. I guess that applies to other METAs as well.

Samuel

Back