D112 problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_Weston

Hi, I know this isn't a DIY project, but maybe it will be a DIY fix!

I have an AKG D112 that sounds great, but occasionally will lose output level and the sound will change from a nice boomy bass drum to a thwacky weak little good for nothing pile of poo!

My friend says this could be a fault op amp... I'm not sure there is even an op amp in it.

My question is: is this probably just a loose connection that I can solder back in place (I opened it up and didn't notice any but will have another look) or is it likely something else that might need replacing and a qualified professional tech to do?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Matt

No opamps or active electronics.

Try dismantling it and check all contacts. It could possibly be shorting out during large excursions of the diaphragm.

I've experienced those symptoms once: It only happened when phantom power was applied, and turned out to be a short between pin 1 and 2 inside the microphone.

/Preben Friis

That's an interesting problem as well.

Phantom power has not been an issue as it's worked fine both with and without phantom and both times I recall having the problem, there has been no phantom power.

I just had another look inside and everything looks peachy... and it sounds fine now too.

It was a metal band I was recording with the most double kick I've ever done so I guess it might be shorting out over the extended and frequent excursions.

Thanks for your help rodabod and Preben Friis. :thumb:

Looks like I got some sample replacing to do! At least the mic is fine... I think. :)

Back