12AY7 vs. diff 5751

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat

Sooo i can get my hands on some NOS 5751 tubes from Sylvana or from ECG Phillips.

EDIT: found that sovtek is supplying new 5751 also in matched versions and EH has also a new 5751

On other hand there is the a new EH 12AY7 on the market, also in a matched version (will need it for a stereo limiter).

Soo many choices, so less knowledge (mine) :wink:

Feedback or recommondations warmly welcome :)

i hear ya........

two_caddy_daddy.jpg

Obviously youre more happy than me. ;) I have to buy that stuff. Thats why im asking.
So if you have to make my decision ... what would you do, based on youre knowledge? Price level is more or less the same.
The tubes should find their way into a stereo LA-2A

The 12AY7 and 5751 don't have the same gain. The AY7 is 44-50, the 5751 is 70. That will probably be a factor.

Yes i know. Correct me when im wrong but the 5751 is more close to the 12AX7.

I checked a lot of posts about substitution of 12AX7 with 12AY7 and it should work in the LA-2A. So i think the 5751 is fine as well or am i wrong?

I'm not usually a big fan of Sovtek tubes...
but I bought some Sovtek 5751 for my guitar amps, and have been very happy with the results.

You two make my decision not more easy - i think it was also youre original posts that started my dilemma ;)

Ok, lets make it more easy:

Should i buy now NOS 5751 from Sylvana or NOS 5751 from ECG Phillips or skip this offer and buy later new EH12AY7 or new Sovteks 5751?

I see the advantage of the new tubes in getting matched versions.

But if you tell me the old NOS tubes are sooo much better i would take this one.

P.S. is not for a Guit Amp, just in case this makes a difference

Thanks 4 youre feedback!

Phillips bought the original Sylvania tube plant (as well as their light bulb and florescent plants) during their takeover of that company, so if the decision is between a Sylvania 5751 and a Phillips/ECG 5751, I would pick whichever one is cheaper.

I think I have about fifty of the Raytheon 5751s left. I don't know what you are going to pay for the Sylvanias but I was selling these in my old online store for $13 each.

I think the general consensus is that sovtek usually sucks, EH is making some great new tubes at an affordable price, and NOS can be much better or much worse depending on luck and/or honesty of dealer.

I think EH is a safe place to start. The only new tubes that people seem to like are either EH or JJ/Tesla.

My 2 ISK.

Good luck,
hejsan

I am not going to back track the posts, I do not want to be disturbed.
How did they arrive at the non NOS solution?
This is the wrong answer.
Please do not buy anything but 1958 to 63 NOS GE 12AY7/6072.
It's like going to a car dealership with Mercedes, BMW, Lamghorghini. Ferrari, Jensen Healey, De Tomasso, and you opt for the Volkswagon?
I just don't get it.

err, make that Edsel. I don't want Keef up my ass again. :razz:

Anyway, I am afraid to look at the decision making process. If you need some articles on why you should only buy NOS, let me know and I will piss Eric off once again.
The definition of a loser is someone who keeps making the wrong decisions in life, even though he knows the right ones.
He just can't do it, that would mean sucess, and with sucess, comes the responsibility to be sucessful again, and jsut think how bad that would hurt?
To make something cool and enjoy life becuase you are so happy that you beat DW Fearne and Cranesong, all for 200 bucks, a soldering iron, and a room full of tube junkies, this is your goal, my brethren, go forth, and you sahll inherit the wind.
No wait, thats a movie on the Monkey trial.
umm, go forth, and ye shall inherit the keys to the kingdom...church..a...
no wait, thats the epostle EH.
umm go forth and ye shall inherit an early grave from solder fumes, there ya go!

Thats OK Roger, just don't let it happen again. Jakob, Ethan, PRR and I are going to have a meeting this Friday to discuss wether or not you get the boot for being such a well intending nice guy. :shock:

Oh. How can you beat DW and reane?
Less pwr supply hum. :green:

Background of the story. Im ordering there some other tubes. Did see the mentioned stuff. So needed information from somebody who knows.
Soo, im not ordering the NOS5751 and wait for some GE NOS very relaxed, knowing that in case i have the new EHs available.

Btw. there is one GE NOS, just one. And maybe one or two mil types. How to find out if its the correct type and year?

Back