S/PDIF to AES/EBU converter?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

living sounds

Hi folks,

I've got a device (Lexicon Nuverb) that is very picky about its input. It needs a 100% to-spec AES/EBU signal to operate. For instance, it did not accept the input from the Multiface in AES-mode.
I've found converter schematics on the web, but they only cover the impedance and voltage part and thus don't affect the 'bits'.
Is there a simple circuit (using a - preferably cheap - standart IC) to do this? I've found some of mcs's schematics, but I'm not sure if they are what I need and how to implement it properly.

Thanks alot!

Gregor

I doubt this can be done with a simple circuit with 'normal' parts.
But I figure a circuit with the complexity of those copy-bit killers of back then can do it.

You sure it's indeed the (tiny) difference between S/PDIF & AES/EBU ? (status bits IIRIC) Did you got a confirmation from Lexicon ?

For a quick & fairly cheap solution maybe a second hand 'converter' unit will do the trick ?
Tascam made various models to help for instance the DA-88 (like the IF-88AE box etc) and Alesis will have had some as well for ADAT.

But I'm not sure whether that stuff does
(1) S/PDIF <-> AES/EBU or just either of these two vs TDIF (or ADAT) and
(2) if so, whether it really does the complete thing and not just level & impedance...

Dunno about some software that 'preprocesses' the bits into the other standard before it sends it out?

Good luck,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I tried it again now with a different audio interface, and it worked! So it's either different with later generation audio interfaces or I never wired it correctly a few years ago (though I did try a lot).
BTW, confirmation from Lexicon would be hard to get, as they stopped to support the unit long ago and tend to consider legacy equipment none of their business.

Thanks alot anyway, saved me alot of trouble!

Gregor

Hi Gregor,

Nice, good to hear you got it working :thumb:

[quote author="living sounds"]BTW, confirmation from Lexicon would be hard to get, as they stopped to support the unit long ago and tend to consider legacy equipment none of their business. [/quote]
Hmm, that's disappointing. For some reason I thought Lexicon to be in the same league as brands like Roland, Yamaha etc, that take pleasure in keeping their old stuff going (& going & going)... at least by making info & docs freely available on their sites.

Recently I've been considering to buy a Lexicon box but if support disappears a few years later then that's not encouraging.

Enjoy !

Peter

And don't forget to make sure the new box you get does 96K. Some of the older ones only go to 48K. I've not had much luck finding one either.

P

Back