Pimp'n my Eisen - A.P.I. w/ stereo files

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgb

Well really i got a new camera and wanted to try it so here is the
almost finished [ need to find the how to VU , thread ] i mostly put them
there to fill the holes in a faceplate that already had openings for the
diy500 panels

one channel has the Cinemag input and the other the A.P.I.
repro from ed , so if someone tells me the easiest way to post
files [ something like photobucket for mp3s ? ]
I'll record a couple of stereo files for fun ,

O.k. theres a couple stereo files later in the thread for ya all

thanks , regards Greg

Picture029-1.jpg

Picture031-1.jpg

Cool!
Watch out for the Fish and Game, or do they have it up there?
You could increase pixel size to 400 by 600 so we can see where you scored the xfmr endbells.

Yeah you can't see the underware stains on it .........sexy , no ?
and doesn't that just say pimp'n ?

but they are outputs from an A.p.i. line card , knobs from a 70s radio
i have one[1] of the the winged versions somebody can have ,
[ i don't want 15.00 like that other guy ]

The Eisen boards made it easy ust psu & i/o to hook up ,
i try to be meticulous but really i'm just slow !

i'll try some more pix tomorrow , guess i have to read the manual

lookin' good.

for vu meter, just take the extra pair of wires from the output tranny, and hook them to the vu terminals. 3k6 resistor in series with the wire that goes to "+" on the vu.

but really, which wire is which (off the ouput tx) doesn't matter, as the signal is (should be, if its a decent meter, which it looks to be) rectified internally. all the pairs of windings are equal on that transformer, so whichever two aren't hooked up. or whichever pair of wires, if all are soldered to the board, don't go to the output xlr one way or another. hard to tell from the pics, and i forget the colors.

what boards are those dude? 512 alikes?

[quote author="enthalpystudios"]what boards are those dude? 512 alikes?[/quote]
Eisen Audio DIY 500

Hi,
I'm working on some similar ones. Do you know what kind of caps those are? Perhaps part numbers if possible. Did you use the group diy part list for both versions or did you have to change any parts for the different op-amps?
THank you. They look great.

The axial caps look like Phillips to me. Hard to find here in the US. Are they even being made these days?

From John Klett:
http://www.technicalaudio.com/reading/neve1081/1081.html

Digi-Key has started stocking various BCC (formerly) Phillips capacitors as a replacement axial cap. These BCC caps are the modern day versions of the original ones used in Neve modules. It turns out that the best of the BCC caps I have found are more inductive and have higher internal impedances than the Panasonic HFS caps so I have been laying in stocks of key values of Panasonic HFS series axial caps when I can find them. I am also searching for an acceptable substitute.

Vetsen

It's a 1000uf that came with the Eisen kit for C9
the output capcitor which i am not using to feed the xfmr
[ it is jumpered , but will use to feed an unbalanced out

regards Greg

[quote author="Vetsen"]The axial caps look like Phillips to me. Hard to find here in the US. Are they even being made these days?[/quote]
IIRC, the Philips passives line spun off as BC Components (Beyschlag Centralab) in 1999, but the formulas are the same as far as I know - at least they tend to sound the same. BC has three series of axial electrolytics that are readily available in the United States; ASM 021, AML 138, and AHT 118; alternatively listed as 2222021, 2222138, and 2222118. Try Digi-Key, Newark InOne, or Allied Electronics.

They don't have amazing specs or low distortion like some of the modern stuff, nor are they inexpensive, but your options for axial are few these days, and I'm a big fan of the nostalgic smearing/mojo that the ASM and AML can provide in certain applications, namely output coupling. I know Klett still uses plenty of them (not like he has a choice!), as do I - especially when recapping stuff that has the original leaky Philips parts, where I don't want to change the tone. The Sprague TE series is another such example.

[quote author="okgb"] [ need to find the how to VU , thread ] [/quote]

Look at the pinout sheet for the 15 pin connector. It should have two pins labeled for the meter...

Nice looking box!

Not on the Eisen , but i think Jens is open to revisions [ minor ]
so maybe next rev ,
Thanks or answering the cap question .

I just have to disassemble it , as i think all my meters need are the
3k6 from an extra xfmr tap [ but do it neatly ]

thanks regards Greg

[quote author="okgb"]Well really i got a new camera and wanted to try it so here is the
almost finished [ need to find the how to VU , thread ] i mostly put them
there to fill the holes in a faceplate that already had openings for the
diy500 panels[/quote]

I'd use a buffer circuit, as wiring a vu directly to the output can distort the sound.
Check this out:
http://jlmaudio.com/VU%20Buffer.htm

I was hoping that the seperate unused widing on the original xfnr would do , but yeah , i guess the right thing to do would be a buffer ,
As it is , i'm counting on having to put a meter diconnect switch as it may be slamming some times !
Well what else could fill the hole on the faceplate ?

thanks for the replies , regards Greg

Hey Greg Looking good! Really like those cases! :green: At least at that prize!
'bout the VU, in Fabios board you need a VU buffer i think here's the same!
Last week i finished my Reliquias 312 by Fabio in one of those cases!! :thumb:

I believe that the way Jens laid it down, there's an unused pair on the quadfilar transformer, which you could use for the meter, it's just not pulled out to a connector that screams "VU".

ju

Latest posts

Back