PM1000 * Fugly Edition * with pix

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed

My first ugly baby was born today. It looks like hell, but boy did I learn a *lot* in the process! I just wanted to thank all the folks here (and the hosts) who make this site possible.

I don’t post too often because I’m still absorbing and don’t usually have much to add. But I’ve learned more from following along on other people’s projects and experiments than I’ll ever be able to repay. [Maybe I’ll go post some DIY recipes…that’s a place where I have some expertise. Oh, and if anybody ever needs help running a political campaign, feel free to ask my advice on that too. :wink:]

I started this project as a total noob. I’m now proud to say that I can generally follow schematics (if not understand why everything is happening), I can troubleshoot a circuit without getting electrocuted, and I can make cases so ugly that you all may need to shield your eyes. (Oh that’s why everyone uses aluminum instead of steel…:shock: )

This pair of PM1000 channels came to me in pretty rough shape. Multiple broken inductors, a partially fractured PCB, and a semi-broken switch. Actually I still need to fix the switch but who’s counting.

It’s all working now and I’m really impressed with the sound so far. I’ve been tracking a song as a memorial to my uncle who passed away about a week ago. It’s sort of a cover of the Velvet Underground’s ‘The Ocean’. My uncle used to build his own Hi-Fi systems in the 60’s and 70’s so I think he would be proud. Perhaps not of the appearance, but maybe of the sound.

The photos:
studio_010.jpg

On the bench... note the guitar amp being used to check for signal output. Yikes.

studio_009.jpg

Fixing the pcb.

studio_011.jpg

The guts. This actually got cleaned up a little bit. No, really.

studio_012.jpg

In its new home. How do you like the silver sparkly paint? Try to ignore the nasty shapes of the holes and general metalwork mess. :roll:

Thanks again for being an awesome community and such a great resource! I'm gonna go get one or two of these: :guinness:

Way to go. It's not ugly if it works. Looks like one of Walter's boxes. I'm using the same boxes for a couple of other projects. Those are some tough boxes. Broke alot of bits.

Hey that's fantastic stuff. I was expecting ugly ugly, not cool ghetto ugly :grin: Good effort bringing the unit back to life from such poor condition, too.

In your post I could read that silly "I just built something! I just built something!" grin - I've had one going for about 6 months now. Ain't it fun?
:green:

Is that a Peavey Classic amp? Looks like one I used to use. Loved it so much I sold it - wish I still had it :sad: And I've been known to use my amp from time to time to test - now I just use my studio monitors :shock:

And you did it Bravo !

you gotta start somewhere and then you refine ,
maybe they'll start to look too slick and you'll wish
you could get the getto back .

I hate all you guys with workshops though !
nice going

Looks like one of Walter's boxes. I'm using the same boxes for a couple of other projects. Those are some tough boxes.
Yep. I ended up just cutting the entire front off. This created a one inch gap between the front panel and the sides, but I just couldn't deal with the lumps on the front panel. And that steel is just so mushy.

Is that a Peavey Classic amp?
Close! It's a Peavey Delta Blues. The one with the 15" speaker. It's a pretty fun little amp. I also recently built an Ampex Scrambler guitar pedal clone -- man, what a crazy sound! Totally love it!

All of my projects have been geared so that I can learn how to do something else. Actually this whole business started last summer when I found an old broadcast radio console on Craigslist for $50. http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=16276 I wanted to learn how to get that thing running again so I bought the PM1000's to learn on. Then I wanted to learn how to troubleshoot without killing myself so I built a 9v guitar pedal. Now I think I'm ready to recap that broadcast console...that's gonna be a *lot* of soldering. I did a parts list the other day -- $125 in components. Sheesh!!

Back