Pinout for BD517 replacement CEN 2N6716

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idylldon

I checked Central's website and the drawing was unclear to me, and I don't want to hook this thing up backwards. If I'm looking down on the flat side with the legs facing down, is the pinout E-B-C starting from the left leg and working towards the right?

Thanks,
--
Don

By the way, are you sure the 2N6716 is a replacement for the BD517? I couldn't find a BD517 datasheet on the web except from one site that is subscription-only. However, I was able to make out enough from the shrunken image that the BD517 is NOT a TO92 package; it looks like a TO220. Transistors in such a package generally have a higher power rating than those found in TO92s.
003524.gif

2N6716.GIF

Thanks for the info, Dave. I'm not sure it's a direct replacement because I bought the parts for my 1176 clone from someone who didn't have much luck putting it together. I bought some boards from Gustav and am now in the process of removing parts from the old board and installing them on the new board. I'm checking everything during the transfer, and, like you, I was wondering about this substitution because it's not the same size as the similar part right next to it.

I guess I'll have to wade through all the posts on the 1176 to see about correct replacements for parts that aren't available.

Cheers,
--
Don

the 2n6716 and 2n6728 were the pair that urei started using after the original motorola mps-u05 and mps-u55 became unavailable. the mps-u parts used the miniwatt package, and the 2n67xx devices originally came in a to-202 (not 220) package that was physically a bit larger than a to-92 and had a metal tab for heatsinking. i don't know if the currently produced devices have the same packaging or not, but as long as they don't overheat they should work. the pinout (EBC) is right for the gyraf rev#7 boards anyway.

see also frank's page on substituting the BD series transistors:
http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/problems.html

ed

ZTX450 and ZTX550 work for me. Exact pinout. Pinch them between to pieces of metal sheet for heatsink. The Zetex E-LINE packaging can dissipate 1W, pretty much the same as the original devices. They also have flat profiles on front and back so they can be mounted between two sheet metals. This allows them to dissipate power better than regular TO-92 packages.

Tamas

[quote author="gyraf"]For BD517/518: BD139/140 has been proved working. But watch the different pin-out!

E-B-C connections are marked on the PCB overlay.

Jakob E.[/quote]

So if BD517/518 is E-B-C, what is the BD139/140?

Latest posts

Back