Need help with a stompbox/noise problem....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therecordingart

Hey,

I built 2 of the Sansamp GT-2 and I just got a Radio Shack 9V 800ma power supply. When I run each off of their own 9v battery I don't have any noise.
But, after I wired the in parallel off of the same 9v power supply it sounds like an engine is running. Noisy as hell!

May I shouldn't be wired two boards in parallel off of a 9v power supply?

It is probably because those Plug in AC/DC adapters have very noisy DC....
Batteries are a Pretty Clean source of DC but AC/DC adapters are very Dirty and there is a lot of Ripple.....

Try putting a Large Value Capacitor(100uF) between the Pos and 0v Power supply Rails on each of your Units and the power supply noise should become conisiderably less....

Cheers

I screwed with that thing for a few hours going through each potential problem. I finally said screw it and I'm now powering each channel off of its own 9 volt battery with an on/off switch on each channel.

I could've just wired a TRS 1/4in jack for the input and used that to break the power connection when a cable isn't connected, but I already had a hole in the enclosure for the power plug. I removed the power plug and drilled a second hole and popped in two mini toggle switches so I can turn on/off each channel as I wish.

I was going to etch the enclosure, but instead bought full sheet labels and printed the artwork on that. It actually looks pretty friggin' cool.

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back