Who was making the Fairchild?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kent

Scenaria, was that you?

The reason I bring it up is that I've got a customer here at work who bought a 660 and asked if I would make another. If I have access to his while I make the other it may be worth it. Otherwise I may be biting off more than I can chew. In any case I'll have to find suitable tranny's so I'd be lookin' for help in that arena. The guy said he would supply the 6386's :grin: . The other thing I have to figure out is how much to charge him.

cheers
kent

CJ was the man on the Fairchild 670.

I'm rather curious to know how far along he is on it. He said a few things to imply that there is real progress being made.

As someone who is too new to pro audio (or simply too young :green: ), can someone give me the rundown on what is so special about the Fairchild 670? It seems like there are people out there willing to pay $30,000 for old units, so they are high in demand.

..............."Buy a mini PC, a UAudio dsp card, the faichild plugin and a few tubes. Put it in a box, heat the tubes for fake and charge 20000 ?."

Yes but I wouldn`t have had the satisfaction of spending 4years trying to afford/get all the parts !!

I can easily locate information on the 670 but not the 660. Just some verbage about 660 being mono and 670 stereo. Does anyone have schematics for the 660?

Hey Kent,

If it's any use to you, I have about 400 words from PRR off the old 670 thread. I saved it as a Word doc, you're welcome to it if you pm me your email.

Justin

[quote author="thermionic"]Hey Kent,

If it's any use to you, I have about 400 words from PRR off the old 670 thread. I saved it as a Word doc, you're welcome to it if you pm me your email.

Justin[/quote]

Cc: S.Mueller (at) macnews.de pleeeeze :grin:

thanx Justin!

I'm trying to build one stage (mono) of a 670. If successful I might do a stereo. But I'm taking some design liberties here, because it cuts my cost down a lot - to where I can actually afford to build it. First, tubes: 6BA6 R-C pentodes triode-wired instead of the almost-impossible-to-get tubes used in the Fairchild. They have the same curves so why not? Second, transformers - I'm using transformers I have on hand. It makes the project cost about that of the tubes - $100 US - plus a week or two of labour to put it together.

[quote author="thermionic"]Hey Kent,

Justin[/quote]

please may I have the PRR 400 word too ?

eledanca (at) ardaco (dot) it
:grin:

He's got the 660 schem too. I believe he had it recapped right after he bought it. If I do this project I will make the schem available. AFAIC I like the Fairchild (vari-mu) type stuff as a stereo bus compressor as well but the customer should get what he asks for and not some long explanations on my mixing preferences. I have not used a real Fairchild on a mix only a !@@##$$%%^& plug-in. I do like other Vari-mu's for that job though. Including PRR's :grin:

cheers
kent

> 6BA6 R-C pentodes triode-wired instead of the almost-impossible-to-get tubes used in the Fairchild. They have the same curves so why not?

Because they are not the same, especially at the deep gain reduction end of the curve where the Fairchild operates.

> $100 US - plus a week or two of labour

Now that is a good reason to use 6BA6. It won't be the same, but it won't be $19,900 worse.

While 6BA6 is a fine tube, I would look at some of the twin-triodes, to avoid drowning in sockets (the Fairchild topology really needs at least 4 small tubes per side) and so you are ready if the 63?? tubes ever fall in your lap.

6ES8 has been claimed to be "most like" the orginals for new designs.

I like some of the classic TV tubes. 6BQ7 is an old workhorse and may be even cheaper than 6BA6. There is a beefier tube in the same line but the type number escapes me.

I found a bunch of 6BA6's for pretty cheap (a couple bucks apiece), though you're right about using a 6ES8 or something else. I tried the 5670W but I wasn't that happy with them. I'm not that worried about the tubes being exactly the same since the transformers aren't exactly the same either, but they're similar. Yea, I know, 8 tube sockets per side... it'll look impressive, if nothing else.

What would you think that instead of me flying all the way to NYC, we try and get Rein Narma to answer questions right here at the Lab?

I would get a list of questions togeather, post one at a time, and he could answer!

cj

(PS RN is the guy who engineered the 670)

Already on that aspect.

Hey, the guy is like 83, and he is still the CEO or assistant CEO for three companies, so I think he could handle it.
He might even enjoy a groupie or two!
:guinness:

What would you think that instead of me flying all the way to NYC, we try and get Rein Narma to answer questions right here at the Lab?

Well, if you do come here, I think you can rely on NYDave and I to make sure that you don't go hungry.

I think it would be fascinating, if he'd do it.
:guinness: :sam:

Latest posts

Back