What are you using to design your front panels?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do my front panel designs in Illustrator and import EPS files of scales (for knobs markings) from Mikkel's wonderful 'Scale-O-Matic" found at http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Scale.html . After the scales are imported they can be easily edited, but scale-o-matic makes getting the basic format of the scale done super simple.

Cheers, Mikkel!

:guinness: :guinness: :thumb:

JC

[quote author="neriks"]I'm fortunate to have a professional CNC-machine and I mainly use Schaeffer's Front Panel Designer to design front panels. Before I can machine the panels I need to export the FPD-layout to DXF and prepare it in a CAM-program.

Here are a few samples of panels that I have manufactured.[/quote]

hi, i have access to a cnc mill as well that i use for my front panels, but i have always wanted to be able to take fpd and create a dxf for the cam software i use (bobcad)......how do you do this?

Gyraf.......i use a small pointed carbide to do the engravings (about 0.010" deep). since most panels are aluminum feed rates can be increased a bit but i tipically use a spindle speed of 8000rpm and a feed rate of 3ipm.

[quote author="raysolinski"]...wish they had a demo![/quote]
No need to wish. It's right here:

http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/demoversionen.html

[quote author="RogerFoote"]When I tried "Scale O Matic" there was no way to lose the center point... Has that changed?[/quote]
I have just fixed that - the centre mark is now optional. Any other bugs I should fix?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I use a sharpie. Observe..

IMG_0736.jpg

this replaced a pod while it was in the shop getting fixed...

So, i finally decided to learn Coreldraw....

i'm making my enclosure blueprints here, and i send as .dxf to the factory. Im also doing all my front panel stuff here, as the laser engraving shop work with .cdr files, so i'ts working great for me this way...i'll post pics as soon as i finish with my 2 4ch green pres, hamptone based preamp, and a couple more ssl comps for my engineer buddies...

I love the laser engraving for the front panels, is beautiful, not as readable as silkscreen but i love it.

[quote author="Fredrik"]If you are on a mac are there any programs that can deal with the front panel express file format...?[/quote]

Again, are there any Mac apps?

Latest posts

Back