Twisted Pair Vs. Shielded Untwisted Pair For Mic Levels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodabod

There is not enough room to use standard mic cable in a rack I am building just now.

I see people here often use twisted pairs for hookup. Alternatively, I have some cheap shielded untwisted pair cable which I could use too.

Does anyone know which is better?

I understand the benefit of twisteing regarding getting the same amount of common mode on each side, but I wonder how simply shielding on its own compares?

Cheers,

Roddy

How much of the noise in the environment is magnetic field and how much electrical field? For the latter a decent-coverage electrical shield will be all you need, especially if there is not a lot of current in the shield.

If the interference is magnetic then the twisting helps a lot.

[quote author="bcarso"]How much of the noise in the environment is magnetic field and how much electrical field?

If the interference is magnetic then the twisting helps a lot.[/quote]

Thanks - that was exactly the answer I was looking for.

Well, I have four preamps in the box which also contains a toroidal transformer which will be in relatively close proximity to some of the cabling.... Maybe I should go for twisted pair then. Or splash out ans get some fancy Sommer miniature mic cable.

I wouldn't use mic cable for hookup inside a rack... It takes up too much room, and its flexibility/ruggedness is wasted there. I use a good foil-shielded twisted pair. The "classic" choice is something like Belden 8451, though lately I've been quite fond of the 8761 type because it's very thin.

What do you guys make of this:

EDIT: Search for "isopod" and click first link. Sorry.

It doesn't specify if it is actually a twisted pair, although the photo suggests so. :?

Edit: Sommer have confirmed twisted pair. Looks good then.

[quote author="mediatechnology"]That link 404s.
[/quote]

Cheers, have edited and updated post.

[quote author="rodabod"]What do you guys make of this:

EDIT: Search for "isopod" and click first link. Sorry.

It doesn't specify if it is actually a twisted pair, although the photo suggests so. :?

Edit: Sommer have confirmed twisted pair. Looks good then.[/quote]

Hi Rodabod! I'm sitting here with the sommer catalogue open in front of me at the page with the isopod cable. I was just wondering what diameter you went for in the end, the 3.3 or the 4.2? I'm guessing that with it being a shielded, twisted pair cable that I won't have to worry too much about interference?

all the best

Norman

[quote author="RogerFoote"]Wonder if Apex Jr. has some of that?[/quote]

If your still looking contact me, I might have something you can use.

I have a very skinny Belden house numbered twisted pair shielded
with a drain wire CHEAP... .08ft $7.00/100ft and $60.00/1000ft

Steve @ Apex Jr.

[quote author="reg presley"]I'm sitting here with the sommer catalogue open in front of me at the page with the isopod cable. I was just wondering what diameter you went for in the end, the 3.3 or the 4.2? I'm guessing that with it being a shielded, twisted pair cable that I won't have to worry too much about interference?[/quote]

Hi Norman,

Mine says "SO-F22 2x0.22mmm" if that helps. The cable is excellent and very easy to use. Much better and quicker to use than cheap cable.

I like to use scraps from a multichannel snakes. You typically have twisted, shielded pairs in a super flexible jacket. I have a bunch leftover from our studio wiring (4'-8' cut ends of 52 channel snakes). It has been more than enough for my projects.
PM me if you are curious.

Latest posts

Back