my dmm has said fik off!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daArry

my dmm (HP 971A) has suddenly stopped being able to give any kind of measurement :cry: It powers up fine and all seems good but then u go to chek a voltage with the probes or measure for continuity say and nadda - it's like the probes wernt in contact with nefin....

Cud it just be the probe leads? Or summin else>?

Check your cables first.

If not those, it could very well be the internal fuse that is gone.

DMM's are mostly always fuse protected. Be sure to use the same type fuse - DMM fuses are a bit special (super-fast I think - better chech for yourself)

Jakob E.

well i opened it up - there's 2 fuses... a big fat chunky one and regular type one. I changed the regular one with the spare it came with (even tho it didnt look blown), also changed the batteries. No joy tho....its werid - kinda like an indoor tv aerial in that u move the dmm about and stand it on its side at a slight angle etc it'll work (tho not at all now) so i guess some connections have gone skiwhif...

any recommendation on a dmm then?

cheers

yesyes a fluke...

Ive had my 87 since 1992.. its been through hell and still works as good as it did the day I bought it

Fluke is it, baby!

I use a 179 at work and have a 73 at home. I also own an 87, but it has a weird problem that causes it to draw big current when it's (supposedly) turned off, so it kills batteries like nobody's business. I've been meaning to look into that, but there's never any time...

I also have one of the older, grey manual-ranging models with the pushbuttons on the side. It has a bad LCD, so it hasn't been used in a while.

Sometimes they just bolt the banana receptacles to the board.
These come loose from constantly plugging aand unplugging leads.
I had to solder the banana jacks directly to the board.

The big fuse is 600 volt rated to be in code with the high voltage measurements. Try that one also.
They are hard to find and expensive, I do not know if there is a slo-blo type fuse in the 600 volt package.

Latest posts

Back