"Bendy" Stranded Hook-up Wire--Does it exist?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan

Administrator
Admin
I'm looking switch my supply of Hook-Up wire. Is there a brand of good stranded wire that stays bent when you bend it? The insulation on the wire that I have been using for quite some time (from antique electronics) is really thick and stubborn that it feels like it creates too much pressure on the wire ends.

A part number, brand, or model-series number, etc would be awesome!

Thanks,
E

Some teflon caoted stranded wire seems to hold it shaped better than PVC coated stranded. Look for Alpha wire silver plated copper wire. Solid core holds it shape the best like NewYorkDave posted

And I will agree with the solid core also, but I have had good luck with teflon pre tined wire, not quite as good as solid core for holding its shape, but quite good. If you have multpul wires twisted together it holds quite well.

adam

The stranded teflon stuff I have tried holds bends pretty well, and has the advantage that the insulation won't melt and straighten itself out if you solder near the bend. This alone makes it a really good choice. You will need a fascist pair of wire strippers though.

I would agree with the Alpha silver plated copper if you can use a thicker gage it wil stay put a little better. you could go real exotic and find a silver plated copper with a kaptan binder and a teflon sleve but your talking 1.25 a foot and up unless you find it surplus. If you are running multiple wires them maybe try dressing you wires with wire ties

my 2 cents

Wil

Wilebee

Single strand will work if your rack stays in the same place all the time.
I would not want to use it in a piece of equipment that goes out on the road, but I think Fender got away with it.

Latest posts

Back