exchanging rev log for normal log pots in eqs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredrik

Probably a nobrainer for most but I have to ask to get this straight.

Could a rev log pot be exchanged for a normal log pot in a eq of the amek 2500 type?

What would be the effect of this, would it change the function of the circuit or would the effect only be practical, as in reversed direction on the knobs for the user. If so couldn´t the pot be mounted upside down, but the knob cap straight?

:roll:

using a normal pot wouldn't change the function of the circuit. The direction of the knobs wouldn't change either.

Rev log means the pot will very slowly change value on one end and very quickly on the other end. This is usefull because we don't perceive frequency and volume linearly.

You'll probably notice that frequencies/levels change very fast on one end of the pot-travel while they change really slow on the other end. This doesn't seem very important but not being able to dial in the precisely the frequency you want because of lost precision can make an eq unusable.

Mendelt: I meant rev as in reverse.

I am curious to know if the rev would mean that the direction of the pot is reversed or if the function is reversed to look like this.

[quote author="Slenderchap"]We stock the original rev. log pots for an M2500 EQ should you need them.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com[/quote]

Thanks for the info Colin, thats good to know.

Yep. You just mark the panel backwards (the easy part) and then train your brain to make your fingers work backwards... That's the tough part! :wink:

Colin, are the pots you have dual-concentric with the single-gang for the ±. or just plain old dual-rev-logs...?

Keith

[quote author="Fredrik"] as in reversed direction on the knobs for the user. If so couldn´t the pot be mounted upside down, but the knob cap straight?
[/quote]

I guess we have the same in mind, right ?

End stops of the knob at ten o'clock and two o'clock, and then rotating for 'more of it' goes CCW, so passing south (six o'clock).

That still give you the from-left-to-right idea :cool:

I'm making a few LPF- & HPF-filters and had some dual 'HQ'-pots around that have decent tracking. So I was keen on using these for the freq-adjust, but they are 'normal' pots.
The trick above will now do.

Bye,

Peter

Keith,

The frequency pots for the M2500 are Sfernice dual gang 47kc.... we also stock the Radiohm dual conc pot for the gain/Q

There are also OMEG dual conc triple gang (47kc / 47kc / 22ka) for the TAC SR6000/6500 freq/gain

and OMEG dual conc triple gang (470kc / 470kc / 22ka) for the Einstein freq/gain

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

:green:

Thanks for making this clear for me guys. I´m going to breadboard a one band eq to see/understand what it does, I´ll guess normal log pots will do for this purpose. If I go on with it i´ll order rev logs I guess to prevent the backward thinking in dialing in the frequencies.

:guinness:

[quote author="Slenderchap"]There are also OMEG dual conc triple gang (47kc / 47kc / 22ka) for the TAC SR6000/6500 freq/gain

and OMEG dual conc triple gang (470kc / 470kc / 22ka) for the Einstein[/quote]

That's it! Yes, I remember now... the 2500 had Q on the bottom and ± on the top, with Freq. to the right a little... I was thinking of the TAC version.

Keith

Back