Repairing Melted Solder Connection Points

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgorey

All right, i'n new to DIY and I ran into a problem. While trying to solder on some wires and a few components, I seemed to have burned off a couple circular solder points on the PCB. The wires and compnent pins were all close together and I was trying to remove excess solder by heating it up and sucking it off with a solder remover. Anyway, I'm wondering if there is a way to fix the connection point...dare I ask if there is an epoxy that works as a good conductor...If the ring is missing, does that mean there is no more connection possible where that component pin / wire is? :cry:

You can usually just scrape a bit of the protective coating off the trace the "ring" went to (so solder will stick) and use either the lead of the component or, if the lead has already been trimmed and you don't have a new component, a small bit of wire to make a jumper to connect the part to the required trace. Effectively, you're just replacing the "ring" with a bit o' wire, which will work fine. If the component is large/heavy, then a bit of hot glue or something to hold it in place will help prevent the trace from lifting, but that's not usually needed with small parts like caps, resistors, etc. I have seen plenty of mfg. boards with these kinds of jumpers and have used them myself many times without problems.

Cheers,
--
Don

Back