LA2A PCB ver 2.0 build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi gregory
just thought i'd let u know
the boards and t4's arrived safe & well.
wonderfull quality thick pcb's
can't wait to get cracking on these,

thankyou very much :thumb:

hi ,

glad to hear everything arrived. :thumb:

use what the instruction manual recomends,

the c10 will work with either value , but the modern unit

uses the value in the manual.

the arco seems to work well with 150 pf.

and as for the grid , they were added only as a percaution.

seems to work well with jumps or the 1k resistors.

best ,.

g,

Hello gregory

I wonder where is your T4 project ? Do you have a kit avaible or just the PCB or the PCB + some parts or complete unit ???

I'm VERY VERY VERY interessted in this.....

thanks you so much, I've alredy your v1.0 board just neeed some more parts to finish it... :razz:

Another one crosses the finish line:

LA2A2front.JPG

LA2A2top.JPG

LA2A2bottom.JPG

A huge thanks to Gregory for making this project happen. I now have two of his PCB units, one ver. 1 and one ver. 2, and they both went together without a hitch. If you're on the fence about this project, go for it. You won't regret it.

Cheers,
--
Don

[quote author="idylldon"]Another one crosses the finish line:
A huge thanks to Gregory for making this project happen.
[/quote]Very nice, Don! Is that a standard Hammond chassis. or somthing else?

[quote author="Dave_B"]Very nice, Don! Is that a standard Hammond chassis. or something else?[/quote]

Thanks! It's a Hammond aluminum chassis and a Hammond 3U faceplate. Total cost is just under $50.00. I decided to use some "farm implement" red for the front panel instead of the usual black.

This also has Gregory's T4B and it's impeccably designed and assembled. The new PCB makes assembly a snap and pretty much guarantees a working unit from the first power up.

Cheers,
--
Don

Looks real nice! I can't cross the finish line yet cause Sowter pcb mount transformers are unavailable and didn't want to use leaded ones. Otherwise I am all built with nos tubes and all.
I just have an affection for tubes that were made in the 60's when I was born lol. I have a tube tester that is nos from the 60's and I lit them up. Can't wait to hear them tho :)
Seems all my projects are on hold due to unavailable parts. I also have an API lunchbox waiting only on Eisen Audio kits. Trannies, doa's and everything else sitting here on my desk. Hopefully early next week...

Oh and btw the drip board is very impressive! A second unit is almost a given for me. The manual is also great.

[quote author="dripelectronics"]is sowter having a back log on them ?[/quote]

I bought mine from Prodigy Professional, but they are the ones with leads. Didn't really make a difference for my construction. Prodigy told me that they'd have some stock of the PCB transformers in a "few weeks," which was longer than I wanted to wait.

Thanks for those "fast" cells, Gregory.

Cheers,
--
Don

Prodigy-pro has 2 to 3 week backorder. And Sowter direct (UK) doesn't even list the output tranny. The pc board one.
Not a huge rush my Sifam meters are in transit still and cases...

Very nice and creative use of readily available parts. I considered a 1u case with chassis mount tube sockets, transformers and a taller faceplate. Too many questions about how to deal with the caps in the power section made me opt for keeping everything on the board and getting a case from Purusha.

I did consider putting the caps in a can like on a fender amp but thought I would be hung up on finding the right size container for that job. Considering the PCB transformers are out of stock I probably could have solved the problem cap problem pretty quickly and would have finished the units. I really like the right angle cutout for the caps. Very cool.

I have fixed a few things around the studio while I've got my groove on so all is not lost.

Chees, William

[quote author="dripelectronics"]is sowter having a back log on them ?[/quote]

Yes, I think everyone is building Version 2.

I'm being patient and waiting....... I've been collecting parts for this for a couple of years, so a few more weeks shouldn't hurt.....

Woohoo Transformers have arrived and been installed! All done just waiting on the case. Very tempted to power it up and test it but don't want to unsolder the psu leads to install it in the case.
Will post pics when I get done... Only thing I didn't get was the knobs. Any suggestions?
Great board and manual ty again!!

[quote author="Stagefright13"]Woohoo Transformers have arrived and been installed! All done just waiting on the case. Very tempted to power it up and test it but don't want to unsolder the psu leads to install it in the case.
Will post pics when I get done... Only thing I didn't get was the knobs. Any suggestions?
Great board and manual ty again!![/quote]

PCB or leaded transformers? Still waiting here...

[quote author="Stagefright13"]PCB ones. I ordered them straight from Sowter.[/quote]

Ah, Got it. I went with P.P here in the US. I guess they are still out of stock.

I've wired every switch, pot and connector with leads. They're waiting to be installed in a case with the board then cut and soldered into place. I still have yet to receive the cases but being able to install the tranny's would make me feel better. I've actually started searching out parts to build a pultec just to keep myself busy.

wm

Email from Prodigy Professional this morning...

Hello.
Thank you for your message.
I was informed that Sowter shipped our latest package yesterday. It generally takes around 4-7 days (depending on customs) for the shipment to arrive.
I apologize for the extended delay. Your order will ship as soon as new stock arrives.

Soon enough I will be able complete this project. I am really wanting to build a pultec and the outcome of this one will have much to do with my momentum. Browsing the recently completed versions on this site is making me crazy. Fingers are crossed for this to go smoothly.

A Pultec sounds like something fun to build.
Besides this La2a, I recieved 4 Eisen Audio pre kits yesterday. That kept me busy all day today! They sound fantastic btw. Api style.
I also am building Mnats 1176 rev D. All I need for that is the tpad and input transformer. Then I think i'll take a rest for a bit... ;)

Back