Restoring a UE1000 - what to do with the switches?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierrelegere

Hi, there are about 85 switches in the unit wich probably can't be replaced. What are your comments about contact-spray? I heard that if you start to use contact spray once, you have to do this regular. Any recommendations? There is a special spray for gold- contacts, does is make sense? Thanks - !!

I have a pair of them (UE100). I just started using them in my mastering rig. I changed the gain steps of the shelving low and high sections. I'm in love with them. They sound amazing.

If the UE1000 has different switches I would still do the following.
The switchgroups were not in great shape. They were noisy and sometimes didn't make good contact. I certainly don't have a great solution. I started by squirting a little isopropol alcohol into the switchgroup with a syringe. I then excersized the switch vigorously. I then blew nitrogen through them. I have nitrogen for cleaning lacquer masters, air would be fine. I then used http://www.stabilant.com/ It's the best stuff I've ever run across. The switches are quiet now but occasionaly don't make contact. I'm scared to take them apart and bend the spring steel for more pressure on the contacts. They can't be replaced... I think excersizing the switches over and over is the most important part.

I agree on the "excersizing the switches" way to go first.

I use the "Kontakt60" spray, massage, and then "Kontakt600" to clean residues out.

Jakob E.

yeah, the loud switching thumps are still bothering me alot. Just looking at my woofers while doing this scares the hell out of me.

Would DC blocking caps at the output be of any help ? types and values ?

The thumping is stray DC *inside* the circuits connected to the switches.

First leave it powered-up for some days so the caps re-form. Not all will.

Once you have thump, you can't "block it at the output" except by cutting the bass so bad the thump becomes a pop or a tic.

PRR said:
The thumping is stray DC *inside* the circuits connected to the switches.

First leave it powered-up for some days so the caps re-form. Not all will.

Once you have thump, you can't "block it at the output" except by cutting the bass so bad the thump becomes a pop or a tic.

well, all caps are replaced a few months ago , even the few that are inside the switches, switches are clean.
Anyone else has this same experience ?

Latest posts

Back