Eagle Installation Problem

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sender

I finally decided to give Eagle a try, since I've heard it is the Cadilac of Schematic/PCB layout software.

First a little about the system. I'm running OS X 10.4.8 with a MacBook 1.83 with 2 gigs of RAM. That said, I read the read me and do as it instructs.

I go to terminal and type in the following, tar xzf eagle-m11-eng-4.16r2.tgz, just as stated in the install read me. Termina responds with the following...

tar xzf eagle-m11-eng-4.16r2.tgz
tar (child): eagle-m11-eng-4.16r2.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Then I type in, sudo eagle-m11-eng-4.16r2/instal, and get this response from terminal.

sudo eagle-m11-eng-4.16r2/install
sudo: eagle-m11-eng-4.16r2/install: command not found

So I have no idea where to go from here. I went to Apple.com to download the new new version of X11. I went to install it and it said I was running a more recent version.

Some help would be great. I'd love to get this running on my Mac.

Thanks a bunch,
William

It's been a while and I'm no unix expert bu here it goes

1. You can just use stuff it or other decompression utility to do the first step.

2. What you get after it is extracted needs to be somewhere on the root of you user account. or you have to tell the terminal app where eagle is and It needs to be in the fisrt level of your user directory.

3. type "sudo eagle" in X11

4 whish you didn't waste so much time for limitted board sizes and a program that has bad library parts :sad:

[quote author="guavatone"]4 whish you didn't waste so much time for limitted board sizes and a program that has bad library parts :sad:[/quote]

Well, it's limited on the freeware version, and the full version is $400. Nothing can touch this program at that price as far as I've seen.

Can you elaborate about your library problems?

well, it's actually secand hand info from someone I know used .1" headers from a library that in no way fit when the PCBs were finally manufactured.

Maybe since there are so many people in the eagle community sharing libraries there's bound to be a dud component.

Thaat's quite an avatar P :thumb:

i've never had problems with the pinheader library...

it's so easy to make libraries for it (once you know how) that anything you can't find you can put together in no time.

[quote author="Rochey"]Always sit down before waving in a studio. Good studio practice minimises standing waves... [/quote]

too true....:thumb:

I am sleep deprived and a bit flippant.... Maybe the person who told me this could elaborate since he may be lurking here. It does seem fairly powerful, but I was a little intimidated by the crudeness of the GUI and I am working up to using Proteus soon

:thumb: :thumb: :green:

Chill dude, no doubt Eagle has it's quirks, but even the big guys are taking notice of it. Even TI has added Eagle to it's list of "next CAD packages to support".
You can show your interest in getting free Eagle Libraries from TI going to a part that you're interested, click on the download CAD symbol and click on "suggest other formats". Eagle is there --- with enough clicks, TI may just offer Eagle libraries as well.
Cool eh? :)

Rochey, I really am not trying to start a debate, expecially since I have no fuel. I thought I was trying to appologize and claim ignorance. I sincerely hope everyone's eagle PCBs shine with great luminosity and pass many signals of wonderful AC audio between thier iron In-Outs (an that is not a wise crack) - I will say a prayer now. :grin:

Hi sender

if X11 is not in your utilities folder, you have to install X11 from your system install DVD, supplyed with your mac, an installation called aditionnal software, use custom install and choose X11.

copy the downloaded file in the root of your account, and follow the readme eagle install instruction

for small circuit there an easy program that i use on mac

http://www.epoxy.fr.st/

hope this helps you

Kamel

@Roger

Have you ever found a good tutorial for creating custom library parts. I've tried a few times and gotten so confused. I'm sure it's one of those things where you get it once and then it's easy, but so far...

[quote author="guavatone"]It's been a while and I'm no unix expert bu here it goes

1. You can just use stuff it or other decompression utility to do the first step.

2. What you get after it is extracted needs to be somewhere on the root of you user account. or you have to tell the terminal app where eagle is and It needs to be in the fisrt level of your user directory.

3. type "sudo eagle" in X11

4 whish you didn't waste so much time for limitted board sizes and a program that has bad library parts :sad:[/quote]

The only problem is that I can't find X11 in /Applications/Utilities

[quote author="Rochey"]no doubt Eagle has it's quirks[/quote]

yeah, I've switched from Eagle on my Mac, to Eagle on the PC. It's a little less "quirky" on the PC. I don't like running the software inside x11, you loose little things like copy, paste, right click etc....

So once again, it's audio on the Mac, everything else on the PC. Too bad that big flashy interface is only being used to launch protools.

NOTE, if you do plan on buying this program, it's $100 to switch computer platforms, so you'd better be happy with the demo version.

Latest posts

Back