Boring, but check this out (R.O.)!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauman

http://www.recording.org/ , at first page...

:roll:

text here:

Can this happen to you? Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:20 pm Post subject: Welcome! PLEASE read before posting.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
On June 04 recording org's server came to a stall. I learned that certain members of recording org where illegally extracting content (without our written permission) and performing hacking attempts, dismantling it and with intention of calling it their own. Here is some excerpts of what is currently going on. Is this right? Can people actually say they are doing this and actually do this. What is happening to intellectual property and the protection of publishers?

Here is the start to what I found on June 05, 2004.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=2&sid=63b5606dd822a0d7a1de26855cae1ce1

<Quote>

Hi guys,

Welcome to the The Lab.
Kick back relax, and let's all try continuing right where we left off...

This forum is sponsored by the kind folks at *Prodigy Professional.

ChuckD
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:06 pm Post subject:
Are you going to be able to backup the old TT site here? Is that even possible?

-Chuck

Consul
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:47 pm Post subject:
I'm more concerned about the TT archives from RO.

I'm afraid RO can, and probably will, claim copyright ownership on all of it. I wish it wasn't so, but I'd definitely check with a lawyer, because you know he will play hardball if those show up somewhere.

rafafredd
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:53 pm Post subject:
I think a conversion software would be needed to extract the text without the old RO "look" etc...

lictme
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:59 pm Post subject:
Copyright: If you publish anything on a BB (or) anywhere, you are the owner - the creator. The sysOP over "there" may have ownership of modified code and original images but, 1. the bb software is released under the GPL and 2. he is not the author of the content.

It's akin to a librarian trying to claim ownership of the books they watch over.

Really, that's it.

-james

p.s., I am a hard core proponent of intellectual property rights. Sometimes we push the piracy envelope but, for the most part, the work published here is original. The designs are supplied by their creator with an expressed permission to the forum users to utilize the designs. 80% of the material we love is Jakob's - bless that Jakob.
Posted by bigtree on Saturday, June 05 @ 12:36:42 CDT (286 reads)
(Read More... | 5634 bytes more | | Score: 1)

I find it very interesting that he's posting our posts from here over on his own site while kicking up a duststorm about how we aren't allowed to repost any of our own posts made on his.

Truth to tell, I'm past the point of caring anymore. I just want to build things. I bought a new soldering iron, stand, and some more solder, and I've cleared off a new workspace (my friend has a jeweler's desk he's letting me use). I'm ready to start building things!

Agreed.

Just to let some of the folks that show up there that they are being exposed by our good friend at R.O.

Enough to me.

I found out that I'm banned from 'there'!!!!!

And I think it was simply for posting here - I haven't done anything else that I can think of. Hmmmmmmm........ Not nice.

:razz:

For those visiting RO, can you please take screen shots of The Lab posts over on the RO server?

Some people dont even have to aim to shoot themselves in the foot.

dave

I think EVERYBODY'S banned from there now.

I'm as disgusted/disappointed as anyone else about the loss of our archives, but I think it's best we just stop thinking about RO now and move on with DIY.

I'm certainly not going to be visiting RO anymore and driving up their counter...

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]I think EVERYBODY'S banned from there now.[/quote]
I'm not banned (yet) - I guess I'm nice :green:

I'm certainly not going to be visiting RO anymore and driving up their counter...
Why not - they need it. ;) Currently there are three times as many users online here...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

What ever the outcome here... , the principle of this is what I stand by and hope to learn more from. My big question is... What's stopping this from happening to you? What's stopping anyone from extracting data from example: the DUC, PSW, GS, MP etc and dismantling it only to republish it and call it theirs? I feel these people involved have taken part in a very bad thing.

Well, he is using my word "extract". So here it goes:

Yes, smalltree, I´ve said it. I will be EXTRACTING all of OUR posts from old threads that I´ve saved on MY HD!!!

I don´t see a problem with this...

That´s all.

wow.....I have no idea what happened as I haven't really been around much the last month or so.

I hope the TT archive is not lost. That would be some bad karma on whoever hits the delete button. That archive is a treasuretrove of esoteric information created by the collective good will of a bunch of smart people sharing their expertise selflessly, in the 'open source' spirit of DIY.

Ah, well.....really glad to see the community re-grouping here.

Latest posts

Back