Cleaning Potentiometers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do end up trashing them all them we stock the pots, switches and faders for the AMEK and TAC consoles.

You can order them directly from the on-line store;
www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalog/

You can download faceplate drawings for each of the modules from the "amek" section of www.audiomaintenance.com which detail the part numbers for each module.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

(We also stock some pots for Trident 65 as well)

The idea that some spray cleaners are "addictive" to potentiometers - that is, requires more and more often treatment - comes imo from a basic misunderstanding of the nature of pots-becoming-scratchy.

Yes, pots that has become dirty over the years can get scratchy. But this is very, very rare.

The foremost reason for scratchy pots in our line of business is leaky electrolytics - that they over time begin to leak minute amounts of the DC that they're paid yo block. And even the tiny'st amount of DC across a carbon track will make it develop oxidations and thus scratching noises.

Yes, the cleaner will remove the oxidation, and restore pot function - but only for a while, because we did nothing to fix the real problem origin - the leaky capacitors.

So naturally, now that your caps has begun leaking, the time between needed cleaning will be shorter and shorter - supporting the intuition of the cleaner being "addictive" - until you grab the evil's root and replace the leaking electrolytics.

Jakob E.

Uuh, excellent piece of advise here! I wasn't aware of that. I'm experiencing that exact problem on my masterfaders so I think the answer is to recap the master section while I have it out of the frame to clean the two P+G faders anyway! I'm planning a recap soon anyway. Might as well start there. :thumb:

PS: I'll see if I can restrain myself from posting a question about which brand of caps to buy! :grin:

Latest posts

Back