lcmp hamptone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
he stocked out of those in 2003. just wondering if anyone has done this on a pcb.

if not , any advice for P2P? should i keep the heater voltage away from audio or does that make sense?

thanks

Build it! It sounds so good... I did two channels point to point and it's extremely quiet. I used two International power supplies (it's what I had - you could do this more economically for sure). One for phantom and the other for the B+. For the heaters I used another transformer for 6.3 and I just twisted the wires nice and tight. I built it in and old TV signal monitor chassis that I got from state surplus (I wish that I had a pic) which offers some isolation of the power supplies but I think that it would be just as quiet if that wasn't there. I ended up using the suggested bypass caps across the audio caps and I built simple series stepped attenuators. I used the JLM go between kits, Jensen input transformers and Edcors on the outputs. It's my "go to" for mix summing most of the time and it's amazing on bass and for many vocalists (and pretty much anything else). I love it and highly recommmend it!

man, thats what i wanted to hear. suggested caps? were they wima polyprop's? im going to try OEP's on the input and altec 15095a's on the output. should be dirtier. thanks again!

[quote author="buschfsu"]man, thats what i wanted to hear. suggested caps? were they wima polyprop's? im going to try OEP's on the input and altec 15095a's on the output. should be dirtier. thanks again![/quote]

I used good caps, but I can't remember what without opening it up :oops: . I do remember having a distortion problem with certain Panasonic 'lytics (c1 or c3), but I have no idea why. I just replaced them and it went away...

There's a lot of gain with these things. I may re-do my attenuators at some point so that I have a greater range without engaging the pad. If you're going to use attenuators it might be worth putting a pot in there first and taking some measurements so that you can customize the values in your attenuators to your needs. The pads are fine but my understanding is that it adds slight distortion. The other thing that I did recently that clarified the sound in a subtle but pleasing way was that I terminated the outputs with 680 ohm resistors.

Good luck!

Back