Cracking open an AKG 414 B-ULS

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash

Any tricks I should be aware of getting into this thing? I am trying to pop out a very small dent in the screen at the top of the mic and can't see any other way to pull that off without getting to the backside of the screen. Any place I can go to see any pictures of said procedure?

have you been able to open the mic at all? there should be 4 screws one in each corner of the bottom plate that unscrew. the bottom mic body will pop off.
here is a pic of the bottom

DSCN1292.jpg

see the screws

then will look something similar to this once the body is off. This mic was modded by Dave Royer with a tube

DSCN1298.jpg

Then IIRC the screen top should just pop off.

Awesome! With pictures even!!! I thought, just this one time, I might ask questions before I jumped head long into it. This is quite unlike me as I usually am sitting in a pile of parts before I realize that I have over-extended myself and maybe I should have asked a question or two first. I figured those 4 screws figured into it, as there isn't much else there but I just needed a little reassurance that it wouldn't come apart and not go back together without some serious issues. Thank you so much for your reply, I now feel confident enough that I can de-dent the thing.

The dent is across the very top, no where near the face of the diaghram. It looks like if you had set the mic down standing on it's XLR connector, the way it is in your picture, something hit it right at the top next to where the metal band seperates the two halves of the screen. The dent is so miniscule that you would be hard pressed to see it until you look. Hopefully it will not affect the mic too much. Other than this small dent, the mic is in great shape. Thanks again for your help.

you missed my thread. I never purchased it. It was a loaner to me. The mic belongs to an engineering friend of mine. The mod was done by David royer and from what I was told is a one off job. It contains the typical ammo case PSU as well as the Royer fave 5840 tube. there was a thread about it do a search and you will fine. I am currently working with said engineer to make an actual schemo and to be honest one could probably breadboard the mic.

hi
i've tried a solid state 414/c12a but more recently
i tried a pair of c12 capsule 414eb(SS as well)
the other day against some normal 414
and that was how i thought they differed,
i'd love to have a go at this mod if the details become
available at some point

Well Pucho, just an update. I cracked 'er open and fixed my dent. In all actuality, once I looked at this microblemish, I almost blew it off but thought what the heck. Thanks for your post and the pics. All is well with my 414.

Back