Replacing SumAmp of Mackie 8 Bus Analog with Neumann V475-2

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystar

I would like to replace the summing section of my mackie with a V475-2.
Only the Mastersection. I know that I could build an external summing Box and connect it with the Direct Outs of the Mixer. But I´d really like to use the Panning, the Aux, Solo,Mute etc... of it. Im happy with the Mackie but the summing is bad.
I´m not sure(absolutley NEWBIE!!!) but for me it seems to be easier to replace the summing section of a mackie instead of building an external Summing Box. But I´m not an engineer. What are you think about this Idea?

Try this first: run your mix bus level (in other words, your channel gain/faders) a few dB lower, and bring up the master fader to compensate--or even use an external line amp. Technically, your S/N ratio will suffer but the difference may not be audible and you may notice better-sounding mixes. Some consoles sound great when you push up all the faders and drive the meters into the red, but the Mackie is not one of them. But you can get good results if you take the time to know your console.

Believe me, digging into a Mackie is not a project you want to undertake if you're a newbie. I used to do warranty service on 'em (many moons ago) and I still cringe when I remember the tedium of disassembling them. Also, their internal construction does not lend itself to modification.

Just wondering: were you happy with the Mackie before you read on the Internet that it sucks? :wink:

while your at it build me a fairchild 670. :razz: I should be the first to say what you ask is is really difficult if not impossible. I'm not sure of your electronics background but I would suggest looking for something else.

Dave the westlake repair division was an authorized Tackie repair shop. If they could it would go back to Tackie. If not best time recorded was IIRC a few hours to crack one open...

The mackie main buss is available at the expander port. You could use an external summing amp through this position easily. I've meant to try it out, but haven't gotten to it.

I like the the mackie because its very simple to use for me. I know that there many consoles with better sounding eq´s and micpres. I like the the eq of the Mackie. It generates a sound I like and which is different than the sound of other productions from my region.Its not not an SSL but many SSL or Neve user who don´t know which kind of equipment we use are enviously for our sound. So I´d like to work with an an other summing engine in it. But it seems to be impossible. You are more expert then me. So I´ll do a summingbox as far as i get a Neumann V475. Perhaps some have one for sale?

[quote author="emrr"]The mackie main buss is available at the expander port. You could use an external summing amp through this position easily.[/quote]

Nice info, I'll be checking the MX8000 :thumb:

isn't this the bus Input (zero ohm node at inverting input of summing amp to feed in the mixer-extension). Don't know it this node can be shared with the built in summing amp and an external summer, or the built in has to be disconnected and a resistor between inv-input and gnd keeps it stable.
IIRC main mix bus input were the 2 rca's bottom row left side at Expander port section.

Back