Roland Dimension D clone.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barclaycon

My original idea was to do a clone version of the Roland Dimension D.
This excellent chorus unit was a firm favourite in the 80's but went out of production very quickly (I don't think that many were made).
It's clear from your posts that there was demand, but it would seem that I took too long to fully develope this as a project.
There are now several other projects of this type on the forum.
I may revive this at a future date, but for the time being I would suggest doing a search for Subtle Chorus or Dimension C if you need to get a chorus-type unit right away.

Why not just sell the board & the difficult to get parts.

I would be up for buying something like this, but since I know how to use a soldering iron, would prefer to assemble it myself to reduce the cost.

I invite your comments.

..or go the easy way:

buy a BOSS dimension C pedal DC-2. it´s the same circuit ecxept the I/O interfacing (hi impedance input) and the input meter. rip the small pcb off that ugly enclosure,
put it into a nice 19" case, add pushbuttons, input level pot, 9V DC power and some xlr´s or phono´s...done ....hehe :green:

with a little luck one might score a DC-2 for 150,- at evilbay... :wink:

steff :grin:

edit: here is a good readable DC-2 schemo:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/boss/BossDC-2.gif

hi! sounds like a good project. I like the sound of the dimension D allot and use Universal Audio DSP plugin version of it all the time.

So count me in for boards and chips if you can get them
cheers
Jay

[quote author="Rob Flinn"]Why not just sell the board & the difficult to get parts.

I would be up for buying something like this, but since I know how to use a soldering iron, would prefer to assemble it myself to reduce the cost.[/quote]

I totally agree, after all this is DIYcountry, right :wink:

I'd be interrested in a "pcb and chip" - kit. :thumb:

The Dimension D differs from the C in that it processes stereo signals and does some neat cross modulation of the channels.
The original Panasonic BBD chips were capable of clocking quite high, whereas the replacement on later chorus devices - the TDA1022 tends not to go as high and so you don't get as wide a modulation range.
I noticed this on BEL Flangers which used the Reticon SAD512 in original versions and it sounded great whereas the 1U versions used the TDA1022 and it had nowhere near as good a sound.
(I've proved this by replacing the chips in my own unit).
I researched the Dimension D some years ago with a view to building one as were becoming so expensive to buy. Just thought I might revive this project and it looks as though there is enough interest to make it viable.

Hmmm , could buy two dimension Cs , hah !

As long as the pcb is screened with values , should help make
it fool proof . Any idea f a timeline ?

[quote author="barclaycon"]The Dimension D differs from the C in that it processes stereo signals and does some neat cross modulation of the channels.
The original Panasonic BBD chips were capable of clocking quite high, whereas the replacement on later chorus devices - the TDA1022 tends not to go as high and so you don't get as wide a modulation range.
I noticed this on BEL Flangers which used the Reticon SAD512 in original versions and it sounded great whereas the 1U versions used the TDA1022 and it had nowhere near as good a sound.
(I've proved this by replacing the chips in my own unit).
I researched the Dimension D some years ago with a view to building one as were becoming so expensive to buy. Just thought I might revive this project and it looks as though there is enough interest to make it viable.[/quote]

If the clock is well buffered, there is no reason why the TDA1022 will not clock up to a few MHz! The SAD1024 certainly will.

Well I suggest you try it Stephen!
The SAD 1024 is great and will clock way past what the spec. says. So, with flanging for example, you can get nearly complete cancellation right down to 'slap delay'. The TDA1022 doesn't.
If you listen to it and increase the clock, it gets to a point where the delay will not get any tighter and at minimum is still a 1mS or so.
One of the best users of the SAD1024 was the Marshall Time Modulator. The chips were encapsulated in delay modules - clocked with a NE566. The delay sweep was enormous.
The TDA1022 is good for medium range chorus effects, but in this example - the Dimension D, I reckon the original Panasonic chip is the best bet; though of course they ARE getting difficult to source.

The Panasonic chip used in the Dimension D is the MN3007. Clocked with the matching MN3101.
Mr Jurgen the 'clone king' built his unit with TDA1022's

Cool, I have some of those, but I bought them from a very shady ebay dealer who is knows for counterfeit.

Do you know how I can test them to see if they are real MN3007? Any simple breadboard check maybe?

Thanks,
hejsan

I'm interested in building one of these! Best sounding chorus ever made......IMHO.
After all, it was a huge part of Alex Lifeson's sound in the Eighties.:thumb:
Freddy

Hey Freddie where are you ? [ step outside eh ! ]

Cause i think that the tc rackmount 1210 is likely the greatest single
chorus , ask Alex how many of em he's got ?

front panel selection of cross coupling and such , if one could find a schematic i would imagine it's a little more complicated than the D D ,
which i would also love to have .

regards Greg

Latest posts

Back