$1500 mic Advice (Brauner Phantom C or AE?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinesh

Hi,

I think this forum is very good for nice advice. If you think this is out of subject question, Please excuse me :oops:

I need a good quality mic Specially for vocals. I have Neumann TLM193, AKG 414, Alesis AM51. My budget is around $1500.

Thanks
Dinesh

Check out the Brauner Phantom, for vocals I think this would be a good complement to the mics You already have. I have three Brauners myself(2x Phantom, 1 Valvet) and I´m very pleased with them.

Another vote for the Brauner Phantom. :grin: A BIG vote from someone who loves and use U67, UM57, CMV563 and C12.
I would choose it anytime over the two times more expensive new Neumann U87.
I don't have one but I had it for testing and used a couple of times.

chrissugar

Hi Dinesh,

***Disclaimer - I am selling one of these mics in the black market right now***

I've been recording for 12 years or so and have tried lots and lots of mics. You've probably read and experienced that there is no one mic that is suitable for every voice and that is true. But... there are mics that tend towards being more neutral and these have always been the mics that I have been drawn to.

I have used a Soundelux U99 as the main vocal mic in my studio (fulltime) for the last 4 years. In that time it has consistently beat out everything I've thrown at it (except the Neumann U67). I've tried the U99 against U47, U87, Microtech Geffels, AKG 441, The Tube, E47 and lots of others. It seems to capture the singers voice and add just a hint of sizzle at the top. It can handle screamers and whisperers and rarely seems to need eq.

There seem to be plenty of these mics around right now ($1900 or so on ebay) and I haven't tried a mic in that price range that I would prefer to own. Were I not in a bad place financially I would keep mine as a complement to the U67 (even though the U99 is inspired by the 67 in reality it is cleaner and seems to handle screamers better).

If possible try to audition one in your search. I've never tried it alongside a Brauner though I have heard Brauners and liked them a lot (VMA is yummy).

cheers,
Ruairi

picking vocal mics always depends on the vocalist and the sound you are going for. to sit there and be like I need a vocal mic what do I get, well, show me the vocalist and I will give you my opinion... you got a 414 which is a bright mic. you got an Alesis AM-51 which is essentially a GT mic and are pretty good. and you got a Neumann which I havn't used yet.

What kind of sound are you looking for? Warm? Bright? Smooth? Why don't you list some of the things your looking for in a mic and we can help you pick one out. Right now, I am all over ribbons. Maybe I went with the trend... Nah I have always liked ribbons I could just never afford what I really wanted. I got me some Shiny Box ribbons and never looked back. They are so good and well with in your budget.
but anyway what sound scapes are you looking for? that will dictate what mic to get...

You do not specify really what you are looking for. But some interesting mics with different flavors - and prices - to try, just as an inspiration, here is the list:

Microtech Gefell M930
Brauner Phantom
Soundelux U195
sE Z5600
AudioTechnica AT4060

And tube:

Brauner Valvet

And ribbons:

Crowley & Trip Naked Eye
AEA R84
Royer R121

And dynamic - below the price range, but a microphone that I find very versatile and fun to use:

Shure SM7B

As for myself, my own favorite that I use more than any other microphone is the Brauner Valvet. But Brauner Phantom an M930 are also very nice in my personal taste.
Another, a little bit cheaper, microphone that some people hate, and some love, is Neumann TLM103. I use mine frequently.

Neumann U87, used. Should find a good one for your budget, maybe a touch more, though check ebay and bid your budget regularly, and I'd bet you win one in the next few months.

Not the greatest mic of all, to be sure, but a predictable, excellent all-rounder that can be had for around your price, and MUCH nicer than a TLM103, IMHO.

JC

I also suggest the m930. I just used one to do guitars and vocals for a project. It sounds great on just about anything you use it for.

Thanks to all!!!!

I am from north India (Punjab). My music is basically Bhangra Music (folk music of Punjab). It’s quite popular in UK among Asians. I think those are in UK they must recognize this music. It’s like Hip Hop & House with some flavor of Reggae.

I am looking for Warm Sounding mic.

I have short listed two mics both are Neumann.
1. U87 in ($2000)
2. TLM49 in ($1500)
I don’t know anything about Brauner & Soundelux although I heard some good things about these. These are not available in India, but I can get these from UK. So I am looking for something in Neumann U87 League.

Thnaks & Regards
Dinesh

[quote author="gyraf"]imo the Brauners are in a class above any Neumann TL.. stuff - and I find them much more versatile than the u87..[/quote]

I agree with you all the way there. U87 is an expensive piece to attract customers and the TL:s are in a league below (but also often less expensive)...

[quote author="dinesh"]

I am looking for Warm Sounding mic.

I have short listed two mics both are Neumann.
1. U87 in ($2000)
2. TLM49 in ($1500)
I don’t know anything about Brauner & Soundelux although I heard some good things about these. These are not available in India, but I can get these from UK. So I am looking for something in Neumann U87 League.

Thnaks & Regards
Dinesh[/quote]

Dinesh,

the U87 is a great and versatile mic, I'd be glad to have one but it is not a warm mic. At the moment I think U87s are overpriced for what they are, demand from the rap guys has driven the used price way up. The TLM I have never heard.

Do some research on the Brauner and Soundelux stuff. If you will only have a small collection of mics I'd advise something neutral.

best of luck,
Ruairi

The new entry level Telefunken AK47 is a nice warm mic. Good for male VOX especially and some drum stuff. Plus when you aren't singing into it you can kill people with it :roll:

Steve

FWIW the early reports I've read on the TLM49 is that it is NOT a warm mic. Clear, defined midrange, detail, etc, yes. 'Warm' no.

I have not heard one myself, but based on what's been printed so far about the thing, and based on my experience with every other 'TLM' model, you'd better try one before buying.

And I'm with Jakob, the TLM stuff isn't as nice at the U87, etc.

Why not build Jakob's G7 with a Peluso CEK67 capsule tuned like a kk47 (Peluso offers two variations of this capsule, I believe, one tuned to a more midrange/warm vibe like a kk47 and another tuned to a truer response like a u67/u87). For not much bread that'd probably be a killer mic, and the G7 is definitely one of the more documented projects around here, so you'd have some decent hand-holding along the way.

JC

theres a TLM49 next door, but I havent listened to it yet.

what about the soundelux U95. I think it was the first mic they sold. not as bright as the other soundelux mics Ive heard. more 47ish but clearer. it is rumored to have a chinese capsule but who cares, it is *very* good on most vocals, and like I said, not too bright.

Or how about building a G7 into a RED mic body from Blue, and put their B7 capsule on it.

If you are thinking ribbon, you MUST include the coles 4038 on your short list. If you are not scared of tracking with EQ (And you have a good EQ) this mic will blow your mind.

mike

I have a TLM49, and quite like it. It is much less bright than the TLM103 I sold to get it. I wouldn't call it warm though. It seems very accurate and intimate, but not warm. For warm, SM7 up close.

Cheers,
Zach

• guitarmaker wrote:
The new entry level Telefunken AK47 is a nice warm mic

Sorry again Don't know how to Start quotes with names?

I have seen, Telefunken is rebadging chinese mic APEX 460 to Telefunken M16. Here is a link.

http://www.studioreviews.com/m16-460.htm

So i am not sure How is AK47? other Telefunken stuff is very expensive.

For G7 I am not fully confident, Coz parts are not available in India.

Untill now I have seen Brauner & Neumann U87 are good choices. But Brauner has three mics

1. Brauner Valvet
2. Brauner Phantom V (multi pattren) & C (cardiod)
3. Brauner Phantom AE

Brauner Phantom AE is cheaper than Brauner Phantom C
what is the diffrence between Brauner Phantom AE & Brauner Phantom C? Why it is cheaper than Brauner Phantom C or V.

& what about VALVET? Is it in Neumann M149 league?

Thanks & Regards
Dinesh

Back