PICTURE: DBX 119...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairyandy

Does anyone have any idea what the three big silver vca's are in this thing? There is a sticker on two of them that reads "7.7". I was under the impression that these older, smaller DBX units (117, 118, 119, 128) all used the 202s like the old 160VUs. I'm not experienced enough to know what these things are by looking at them. The pinout is definitely different looking than a 202 though. Any ideas?

dbx_119.jpg

Thanks...

The two that have the "7.7" stickers are 9-pin and the other one is 10-pin.

Here's a shot from the solder side of a 9-pin one:

dbx_119_pinout.jpg

Thanks,

On a schematic for one of those things I saw what was labelled dual RMS converter or something like that. My guess is that the 2 similar ones are VCAs and the other one is the "dual RMS detector". Why they wouldn't use the same VCAs as the other products from the time is beyond me.

Mark

Andy;
Everyone is dying to ask but they are shy today.
Open that thing up.
Unsoler it from the board.
Pop it open and take pictures.
Yes we are greedy we like schematics too.

Adrian,

I've got to work today but maybe tomorrow I'll pop one open.

Next question: if it's potted underneath (like the 202C that I have) how do I open it without f*&#cking it up? I've never seen a schematic for these things but the 117 & 119 are almost identical inside. The 128 seems much different, mostly because of all the NR stuff. The big silver VCAs are absent from the 128 as well, although it is a compressor...

here you go you bunch of babies ;) This is a 117 but it must be very close to the same.

Mark

dbx117.jpg

I guess i was wrong about the dual RMS converter being in this one. Turns out that's in the 162. That must actually combine the signals AFTER they are envelope followed, this piece of junk just misex them and then sends them through one RMS follower. THAT Corp tells us that if the stereo signal has out of phase info, this will give a wierd result. Good luck figuring out the VCAs, I can't imagine why they wouldn't use the same modules in all their stuff.....

Mark

Thanks Mark! Where did you find that schematic? I've been looking all over for those.

Here's a close-up of the inside of one of the "7.7" VCA-things from the DBX 119. Any ideas now?

vca_close.jpg

Thanks,

I´ve got an email (from an old menber that doesn´t frequent the forum anymore) about some mods in the dbx 119.

He said that he doesn´t like it stock, but after swaping some opamps and making a new gain make-up, it´s a killer. Maybe Off-Topic, but just to let you know...

Thanks for the info Rafafredd. Any ideas about which mods he's talking about? These things don't really look that complicated...

I don't know where that came from. Somewhere on the net I guess. I have the service manual, but it doesn't say too much you couldn't see for yourself.

looks like a DBX VCA in there. Still wierd that they didn't use a 202 or whatever.

Mark

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I've read people on the Net that have said that they did use a 202 on the lesser products as well. Then I get a couple of 'em, open 'em up and find those big silver things...oh well. Sometimes you win, sometimes you really don't care too much. :grin:

Guess I'll have to figure out how to make 'em sound better now...

Thanks for the input,

I think it's me rafafredd is refering to.

I've done some pretty extensive mods to the dbx 117/119. I find them to be exellent VCA comps, as good as the dbx160VU.

I have done mods to the release circuit, the sidechain, I swapped the opmaps (but I like the LM301s, just don't tell the audiophools :green: ), I've also made it feedback/feedforward switchable, PSU mods (the original FET/bipolar regulator is actually quite fine) and a gain make up amplifier. Pretty much anything can be used here.

I could draw up a schematic, but most can be figured out from the exellent manual. Mr. Blackmer actually advices people to mod it! I like more manuals like that.

They go for peanuts on ebay. And the expansion is fun too! Whoha, more dynamics, what a concept... :idea:

Hello Jakob,

No, I don't know anything about those suckers, really. I'm not an VCA expert, I thought that they we're dbx160VU (202s right?) rejects as well.

One has to remember that this is a very cheap box for consumer use, so it's made as cheaply as possible. I do like how it sounds though, it's quite close to the dbx160VU. I never thought of that one as a clean or good compressor. It's got a usefull effect, but it's quite ugly, imo. This 119 is even uglier :green:

Expansion really is the new drug (hero.., I mean compression was the old one) :cool:

Yeah, I'm glad to back in Århus. Used to live here in the wild'n'crazy late 90's. I think I even said hello to you at Feedback at some point...

[quote author="sismofyt"]Yeah, I'm glad to back in Århus. Used to live here in the wild'n'crazy late 90's. I think I even said hello to you at Feedback at some point...[/quote]

..you're welcome to stop by any day when you have the time.. Haraldsgade 27 - Kongsvang tel. 86115200

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back