Orban 622B param equalizer, anybody knows it? schematics ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you do a Google search? I'm pretty sure that EQ has been discussed many times in various places around the 'Net.

I own one and I like it. But so what? My taste could be totally different from yours. Opinions without context are of little use to you.

Manual at ftp://orban.com/622/

I have a orban eq I think model #642b.. Sounds good, I can't compare it to anything higher end but it sounds good. The model I have goes on ebay for slightly more than the price it would probably cost to build it and I think it's worth every penny. A low cost High end piece and I recommend there stuff to any project studios looking for good gear for low money. I also have a Orban Compressor/limiter that is very good on vocals.

[quote author="flaheu"]I want to buy one of these, Somebody knows it ?[/quote]

do you have a concrete offer for one ?
from Germany, from Berlin ?

if yes: don't buy it but give me the data of the seller
2 weeks ago one was stolen from a friends studio

Ok guys,

I've searched a bit over the net, and apparently most of the time people who used it seems very happy with the 622, some prefer the 642.
The contact I have is a studio in France who sells it for a 400€.

And Dave thanks for the link
:grin:

[silent:arts] I've seen one on Ebay from Holland this week (too expensive IMO)

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAP...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=190088850125&rd=1&rd=1

[quote author="flaheu"]The contact I have is a studio in France who sells it for a 400€.[/quote]
I think this is a good price

[quote author="flaheu"]I've seen one on Ebay from Holland this week (too expensive IMO)[/quote]
thanks for the link. since it is a 110V unit it is not my friends unit :sad:
(we have already found some of the stolen gear on eBay - and found a way how to deal with it)

400 Euros? no, that is too much!! these things are sort of cool, but not that valuable IMO. some 622's have potted modules, but some don't. in that case you can upgrade the opamps. then go ahead and recap it, stiffen the grounding and remove the output transformers. you might need to use an external PSU with more current depending on the opamps you choose. then it will start to sound as cool as it looks, but it will still have crappy pots.

my favorite Orban is the 672 "paragraphic" with filters. great for fixing up badly recorded, out of tune snaredrums.

check out the orban designed DeeBeeX pr0gect-1 model 242 EQ. it is very clean, and nice sounding. the hi-lo shelves go to infinite-cut, essentially turning them into sweepable filters with selectable slope. the only problem is the pots don't line up with the panel markings at all, so use your ears, not your eyes.

mike

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="flaheu"]I want to buy one of these, Somebody knows it ?[/quote]

do you have a concrete offer for one ?
from Germany, from Berlin ?

if yes: don't buy it but give me the data of the seller
2 weeks ago one was stolen from a friends studio[/quote]

yes this was really some f&$ked up shit, i heard about it, i also know the owner of this studio.

but back to topic, i have a 622b too and i love it!

i use it mainly on drums and it sounds great, not everytime but it´s useful.
there are better analog eqs out there, but not for that price. ( if i´m wrong tell me what else to buy :wink: )
do a search on gearslutz and you will find more user comments, the orban stuff is used by many mixers and it´s often cheap to get.

checkout ebay, i bought my 622b for round 230 euro

next thing i wanna buy is a 642
:grin:

They are pretty good if you get one you can mod (as discussed above). I did the Dorsey mod to one some years back and liked it. Actually, the mod was not on the Internet yet, but Scott gave me a few hints, and I had to figure out the rest. It was difficult for me to get stable (it oscillated like crazy until I capped the chips). I recall that desoldering those daughter cards using a squeeze-bulb iron was a real PITA! The mod is available and well laid out these days, so if you prepare for it, it should go pretty fast and easy. Just be sure you can handle getting those daughter cards out of there, because that is the crux problem. If you are not careful, you will break some traces. But then again, you probably have better tools than I did, so maybe it's not an issue.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=103197&sid=cfe13c8fe5c08b18101affea136ba32a

Back