Lucid Genx6-96 insides

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrorocket

Hey. Just got one of these off of eBay, and cracked it right open to see the guts. There's a few interesting things. First, theres the 2 jumpers.

One is near the clock in, and is a terminator. I guess that's good to have on if you aren't using that input. It looks like it parallels a couple smd resistors with the tip. I guess that gives is a 75 ohm dummy load? Otherwise, are you supposed to use a terminator on the bnc connector?

The second one is more interesting, because I don't really know what it does. It's the PLL range. High or Low. It's defaulted to high. I know a PLL is some kind of clock, but that's about the limit of my knowledge. What does this jumper do?

There's a couple cheap looking capacitors in there too. A 2200uf 16v and 47uf 35v. They're labeled NRSA, and have a big N and a very small c Logo. At first I thought Nichicon, but it doesn't look like one. And they're only 85 degree rated. Would upgrading to an elna, nichicon or vishay yield longer life, or even better performance?

Now I'm gonna put this back together, and fire it up!

lucid2vo7.jpg

Well it works wonderfully. Amazing the clarity I get! I can actually hear all the layers in the background, instead of them just being textures. And all the movements I make with plugins and levels are so much more apparent. This really was a big upgrade over the Digi 96HD clock. Wow! Now I'm wondering if I could even improve upon with a couple better PSU caps. It's quite a steal at 400 dollars!

Would getting better converters make as much of a difference as getting a new clock?

Latest posts

Back