neve belclere em20014, em20031, b620,b621 questions.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonkan

I was wondering if you know anything about these transformers: belcere em 20014, em 20031 (i think thats what they were called, i couldnt write it down, so im going by memory here).

I recently visited a nearby studio, and they happened to have loads of these lying around in the basement, and said that i could take some for free if i wanted. They also had these in some other brand starting with W i think (not shure exactly what they were called) that seemed to be of the same type and model number.

Most of them were mounted on b620 and b621 cards, which seemed to be some kind of line amp, but im not shure.

I was wondering what these transformer could be used for? Are they mic inputs, line, or what? Do you know what ratios they are?

There were also some ba440, ba438, ba238, and ba183 lying there which i could take, along with some penny&giles faders.

Anything of these that might be useful for anything fun? Like some micamps, or perhaps in a neve:ish compressor build? I know about the ba283, and 183 amps, but other than that i have no clue what these could be used for.

Thank you for any info!
/Jonas

Read Geoff Tanner's Neve forum to find out.

They were made by OEP. He doesn't seem to like the, but many people here certainly like the "coloured" sound of OEPs.

Sounds close to but not fully identical to those TXs used in the 33609. Grab em all, give them a few six-packs, take what you need and tell us what's left :thumb:

I searched his forum, but couldnt find much info. So i posted the question there aswell. Apparently the 20014 transformer is an equivalent for the 31267.

I hope any useful info comes up. Id love some ideas on what i could built with this.

But good or not, free transformers and other stuff is always welcome!! The just guy handed me a panel with about 20 transformers and said: Here, take it if you want!

I havent picked it up yet, i told them id do some research first if it was anything i could use, and then come back.

/J

By the way those knobs are usless - do us a favour gather up all the neve red winged knobs you can find - and ship the to me for disposal
I will pay postage and say 10 euros on top for your trouble

I didnt see any knobs, but the whole basement was full of stuff, so i might have missed it.

The studio guy was very kind, he basically said that i could take anything i wanted so im definately going back there some day to do that!

/J

[quote author="Jonkan"]so im definately going back there some day to do that!

/J[/quote]

Some day ? :shock: :shock: :shock:

How about to-day ? :wink: :thumb:

Hi,

I know only about the 10014s. they are line in transformers which were after replaced
with 10016s cause they had some microphonic problems. 10016s are used in Neve 33609
compressors. I am still waiting to get the specs from a friend for them. 10016s can be also
wired backwards and used as mic line transformers.

Well, i was there today. So it might be strange if i come back so soon ;)

I dont think the stuff is going anywhere else anytime soon.

About that 33609 compressor. Which of the transformers would work maybe? The 20014 or the 20031.

Id really like to build one of those, and if i could get some of the transformers for free, that would be awesome.

Anything else that could be used for this that ive mentioned?

/J

About that 33609 compressor. Which of the transformers would work maybe? The 20014 or the 20031.

10014 will work. I don't know about the problems some people had with them. They are sensitive to shocks and shaking. So I heard. Neve guys mounted them into some kinda anti shock thing to avoid this.

Other than that the ba238 and ba183 can be used in 1272 preamps or even as Pultec gain stage. This is what I used in my Dual Pultec DIY which sounds really first class :thumb:

ok, but i think theyre not 10014, but 20014...Im going by memory here though, so not 100% shure.

/J

The 4'th company that made transformers for Neve was Willesden, looks exactly like the Belclere. Mic and Line transformers often start with TF, think that the EMxxxxx came from line amps and routing / bus moduls?
Think that the OEP staff came from Belclere and not the other way around?

BA438/440 are very useful if you like to build the preamp part of a 1081! One of each formes a preamp, four more gives you the needed amps in the EQ without the LP / HP section.

Lycka till!

There were both Willesden transformers and Belclere, so i might be off on some of the model numbers. I have a terrible memory :green:

Geoff Tanner told me that the 20014 would be useful atleast (not 100% shure for what though).

Thanks for all the info!
/J

Well, Geoff has his own opinion which might just be his own opinion and nothing else. I heard different opinon on
those tranformers from some BBC Neve tech ... so it's just a matter of taste and not an absolute truth :wink:

Im not that picky! I just want to build cool stuff. :green:

(btw, what did you hear? Good/bad?)
/J

I heard that Belclere transformers can rock when using the preamps or anything else on el. guitars
as they are adding the desired colouration. He made some blind tests and the Belclere iron always won on guitars.

[quote author="Purusha"]I heard that Belclere transformers can rock when using the preamps or anything else on el. guitars
as they are adding the desired colouration. He made some blind tests and the Belclere iron always won on guitars.[/quote]
Purusha - we tend to keep comments based to personal experiences only - otherwise the "professional" aspects of this forum will be degraded

Latest posts

Back