Ampeg V9

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walrus

Does anybody know what the overall power consumption is for the Ampeg V9 guitar amp?
I've been asked to supply a step down transformer so it can be used in the UK, but want to ensure I don't underrate it, or also go too mad and supply something that would supply the National Grid! :oops:

I don't have that schematic handy. But here's a "cheat" that should give a satisfactory result: base max current draw on the value of the amp's mains fuse. As an example, if an amp is fused for 1A on a 120VAC supply, that's 120 watts and you'd use a transformer rated for that. Since the fuse rating is a fair bit higher than what the amp should ever draw in normal operation, you have a good safety margin.

According to the schematics on the web, it's fused for 10A, so on that basis I need a transformer rated for 1200 Watts. Which is around what I originally guestimated. My thought process was, it's a 300W amp, double that for max consumption, then add some for a safety margin. So use a 1000W tranny.
It was at that point I thought, hold on, surely I don't need something that big. :shock: And decided to ask the font of knowledge....

Might be worth checking the thing with a meter also. That startup current surge can be surprising. Isn't that why amp fuses are slo-blow?

Might be cheaper and lighter to replace the power transformer on the chassis.

Back