Tube is needed.. Everywhere!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

wow, you can almost see the white LED glowing under the tube in that first photo. Guess nobody told them they should have used an orange one...

dave

I don't get it. When are people going to get over the mythology of tubes. It would be cool if it had a good tube like a Mullard or a JJ, and was built all point to point with Allen and Bradley resistors and Mallory Caps, and had sweet output transformers. It's just like crappy Valvestate or AVT Marshalls where idiots go, ?ahh, tube!?

[quote author="kubi"]An ATX PSU delivers (-) 12V as the highest voltage, so I guess, it's (+12 and -12V=) 24V plate voltage.[/quote]
But I think they actually use a DC/DC converter to get a reasonable platevoltage. Why would they use 400V caps for a 24V stage?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

What i would like to see is a tube amp for reading the harddisk...THAT should sweeten the sound of direct-to-disk-recordings. Hey, this just might be a great product idea, the market is enormous !

This one will make me a fortune! Oh yes.

tubefone.jpg

Superior silky smooth audiophile tube/valve sound from your mobile!

:thumb:

[quote author="VacuumVoodoo"]What i would like to see is a tube amp for reading the harddisk...THAT should sweeten the sound of direct-to-disk-recordings. Hey, this just might be a great product idea, the market is enormous ![/quote]

...non of that digital harshness... add harmonic overtones to your zeros and ones.... :shock: :green:

don't be so ridiculous!
You can't round off zeros...
But you can round off a 1 and you get...well, sort of a 4... :green:

We will force these computers into analogue!
0...1...4! (crazed laughter here)ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha

[quote author="yan_b"]
Superior silky smooth audiophile tube/valve sound from your mobile

how thermionic emission effects the brain? .[/quote]

don't know that.... we had better ask thermionic :green:

Takamine is advertising 'cool tube' technology for their latest acoustic guitars. Battery powered....yay, prolly a hearing aid tube like that audio technica mic uses. "Dude, I've got that thick tube sound for my acoustic now". Barf!

Cheers,

Kris

[quote author="DrFrankencopter"]Battery powered....yay, prolly a hearing aid tube like that audio technica mic uses.

Kris[/quote]

Audio technica also did it? Which model? I know tube Gefell UM900 uses phantom power.

I've never had chance to experiment with hearing aid tubes. Do they have any advantages as opposed to "plate starving" mode?
How these tubes sound? I would imaginge their target application does not exactly suggests hi-fi.

a-open used to be an advertising client of mine about five years ago. tube on the board - that's beautiful tripe.

the fricken geek-consumer market will just eat this up...then, you'll be able to buy flat plate telefunkens at walmart...or rather, walifunkens.

-james

The new Triton keyboard also has a tube... It made the product look cheap, and anybody buying that is going to pay for something that distorts their sound and makes their audio noisy and dirty. No thanks.

Audio technica also did it? Which model?

It's the 3060.

http://www.audiotechnica.com/prodpro/profiles/AT3060.html

Too bad too, they blew it with this one, but they are capable of making good tube mics. The 4060 is great mic...a bit of a sleeper. Oh, and it has real plate voltage, and a 6922 tube.

Cheers,

Kris

That AOPEN board is something old, a year ago when I saw the brochure I thought it was a joke but discovered it is real. IDIOTS.

"The new Triton keyboard also has a tube... "

and even the new Korg grooveboxes. They could have an excuse If it would be done properly but they use tubes only because of the comercial factor.

chrissugar

I design and build audio gear that contains tubes, because my ears tell me that they preserve the "live" quality of music. So it offends me to see cheap, distortion-ridden implementations of tubes that are produced just to catch the "tube vibe". Don't support this junk by buying it!!!

my original post about the white LED was my obvious attempt at humor, but Ive been thinking about that, WTF were they thinking when they took that photo to market the thing?

thats just so very strange to me.

dave

Back