1/4" mono head stack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eriksmusicproduction

Ok, I'm looking at getting a full track mono headstack that will fit my machine, I'm thinking it would make a great addition for digital mixes one track at a time.

My question is would my recorder be able to run this headstack? I'm fully aware of how to calibrate the existing half track heads but will the mono heads require more output or bias that maybe my recorder can't deliver?

My deck is a teac a-7300, the headstack is for the ampex atr-700 which is made by teac and basically the same deck however with slightly different electronics and head choices that the teac never had.

Honestly, you'd be better off just buying a full-track machine. They're certainly not in high demand, so prices on even the better models are reasonable. Trying to graft together two different makes/models of headstack and transport can be a complicated undertaking, mostly in the mechanical aspects. It may be easier in your case because of similarities between the two machines but I can't say for sure.

Why not just use your deck as-is and do two tracks at a time? Sure, a wider track means better fidelity but you do reach a point of diminishing returns.

Well actually the two models are the exact same transport with just different electronics. So it should just bolt in, as long as the electronics can drive the heads.

But I think your right anyway, the noise level is really quite low as is. I think I'll just keep it that way. Plus losing the bid on ebay helped the decision a little :cool: Actually I think I'm glad I lost now, I wasn't planning on changing it untill I saw the headstack, then thought "what if?? when will I ever see these again??"

That's why I try to avoid eBay: it's full of things I didn't know I needed-- which, when I encounter them in my storage unit two years later, I realize I didn't really need at all.

Latest posts

Back