[DESIGN]Graphical analysis of White cathode followers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewYorkDave

Wanting to do something a little more sophisticated than "cut 'n try", I've attempted to draw loadlines for a White cathode follower using the good ol' 12BH7. But there's a lot going on in that circuit, which confounds the usual straightforward procedure you'd use for, say, a simple common-cathode stage. While I ponder the best approach to use, please humor me by answering this question: how would YOU do it?

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]But that's really just "cut 'n try" without melting solder :wink:

Besides, I don't trust CAD. It lies to me. :mad:[/quote]

In the output tube chatracteristics
(for normas common cathode amp)
draw line, which corresponds
cathode resistor paralel with 1/gm (tube transconductancy).
You must read tube transconductancy from transfer characteristics.

xvlk

I assume you have found John Broskie's essays on the White Cathode Follower.

An objection is that John treats it only with small-signal approximations. The amount of bent-ness as you approach clipping is not clearly revealed.

If you just want to optimize load impedance:

Design a one-tube transformer-coupled amplifier. Pick an operating point. If you are abusing a WCF to avoid transformer step-down, you want to aim for lower plate voltage and all the current it can stand.

As in any triode power amp: best power is generally Rl=2*Rp where Rp is estimated at the proposed operating point (not the book spec). But distortion is very much less with Rl=10*Rp. Using Rl=5Rp is often a good compromise between power and distortion. If you can't get the load impedance that high, go as low as you want: distortion does not rise much as Rl goes toward or below Rp.

When you find a good answer, use twice the supply voltage, stack two tubes, use half the value of Rl that you found in the 1-tube design.

But as you go to different impedances, or toward clipping, the WCF gets bizarre. Optimizing different performace aspects gives different values of the top resistor. As near as I can tell, they are all wrong; the WCF can never be made "optimum". It is the most contrary "simple" circuit I know. (The SRPP may be worse, but I pretend it was never invented.)

Here is a not-bad WCF simulation, one I have looked at many times in many moods. CAD is often wrong, but when this sim doesn't crash I believe its curves are approximately correct. This happens to be two 2A3 with 400V supply idled at 55mA driven with 70V peak signal. Both plate currents and grid-cathode voltages are plotted against output voltage with three different load impedances. Note that the horizontal scale changes. I should re-run the series with fixed scaling but too tired.

WCF-NYD-1.gif

Note in particular, the way it works push-pull in low-Z loads but push-push in hi-Z loads. When load is about Rp or higher, you really ought to look at a single cathode follower, one less tube to heat.

Would this be a place inverted tube operation might work well. Steve Bench has a writeup at his site about inverted tube (grid as the plate and plate as the grid)

> Would this be a place inverted tube operation might work well.

No. In fact, inverted operation never works well, with one odd exception.

Problem is: the dissipation of the grid is low, less than 1/10th the dissipation of the plate. So the available power output is very small, unless you use a very large tube. So the claimed benefits of low output impedance are just not usable. You can get equal or better performance with a conventional hook-up.

Or to cut to the root of the problem: the Grid-Cathode resistance is the same either way. And a function of heater power. Using the Plate to control conductance is just low-gain.

[quote author="PRR"]The SRPP may be worse, but I pretend it was never invented.[/quote]

OK... I have to ask. What's the problem with the SRPP?

OK guys,I was think to use a with catode Follower... I've to put a buffer amp before my single amp tube Eq, whats the best topology, for this ? :shock:

Hey mik check this discussion yesterday, I think it will help you out.
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5377

I can't help you with the theory, I'm going to try that one and see what i can learn. Meanwhile, I can caddy a bit for PRR, NYD, Gy et.al . :grin:

I'm gonna get that gopher if its the last thing I do. :twisted: :wink:

Sleeper

NYDave,
Here is some info on WCF from Valve Amplifiers by Morgan Jones. Sorry, I don't have a scanner, but hopefully it is still readable:

WhiteCF1.JPG

WhiteCF2.JPG

Back