Finally my solid state DUAL PULTEC DIY (photos)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purusha

DualPultecs.jpg

Here are some photos of my latest DUAL PULTEC EQP1. It's basically the passive Pultec's EQ section powered
by Fabio's Neve output driver boards. I used Marinair 31267 / LO1166 iron to get the nice Neveish smooth and warm
sound from the last two units. I love the sound of this EQ so much I am finishing now the 4th stereo unit.

DualPultec1.jpg

DualPultec5.jpg

DualPultec2.jpg

You can see more photos in my new DIY web page :wink:

You should be proud. Very nice looking system laid out so nice and neat. All those controls and yet so neat. Awfully nice job on the box also. I'll bet it also sounds like a million bucks. I'm jealous. Cheers, John

Very nice! impressive! that it enjoys, I wait for it and desire many satisfactions from the eq units.

Fantastic job Purusha! Thanks for posting all of the great pics, they will help when I start building my dual pultec. Also, your website looks great.

Thanks for the compliments :cool: I am learning slowly step by step.

Thanks to Matta for the initial idea, Frank for the schematics and kind help,
Fabio for the Neve boards and Lynx 1166 iron (which sounds even better than
Marinair 1166 IMHO) and Andy (Sintech) for the support and help :thumb:

Next one will be with IC opamp gain stage :razz:

Hey Purusha, looks great mate :thumb:

I feel inspired to now change my Hi boost caps from Wimas to the same ones as yours, do you have the details where to buy?

Hello Andy,

I got some from Reichelt and the bigger ones at Farnell. I did a lot of combining to get the right values.
I did some additional effort and bought more of them and matched them for stereo use.

Here is my caps list for 1 channel EQ section:

WIMA MKS-4 or MKS2 Metalized Polyester :

1uF 1
2.2uF 1
470nF 1
330nF 1
220nF 1
100nF 5
68nF 1
47nF 2
33nF 1
22nF 2
15nF 1
10nF 1
4.7nF 1
1.5nF 1

Styroflex - Hi-Boost section :

1.0nF x 3
1.5nF x 2
3.3nF x 2
4.7nF x 3
10nF x 4
15nF x 2
22nF x 5
33nF x 1

Not sure how it compares with what puru got from Frank but here is
one handcopied from a friend in America , an actual production version of the mtec with inductor specs

M-Tech-1.jpg

tap dc ohms Q
1 26mh 20.6 7 1/2
2 39mh 25.8 9 1/4
3 78.8mh 37.9 13
4 155mh 55.8 18
5 312mh 84.1 25

exactly the same info my friend [ name withheld to protect the........ ]
measured from the mtec , so that is authentic to it .

Also in the inductor debate here is , and it concurs with drpats findings
as most accurate spec for the real pultec inductor [ as compared to most of the schemos and Dr measuring his own pultecs

inductor-1.jpg

regards Greg

[quote author="sintech"]Hey Purusha, looks great mate :thumb:

I feel inspired to now change my Hi boost caps from Wimas to the same ones as yours, do you have the details where to buy?[/quote]
My Wimas not good enough for you now??
Styroflex's from group member Wonderland - (Neve sets)

Purusha - nice build - might want to move that transformer hook up cable away from transistor heat sinks (can you hook it under the output board?)

[quote author="uk03878"][quote author="sintech"]Hey Purusha, looks great mate :thumb:

I feel inspired to now change my Hi boost caps from Wimas to the same ones as yours, do you have the details where to buy?[/quote]
My Wimas not good enough for you now??
Styroflex's from group member Wonderland - (Neve sets)

Purusha - nice build - might want to move that transformer hook up cable away from transistor heat sinks (can you hook it under the output board?)[/quote]

heheheheh your Wimas have been fantastic! used them in practically every project so far! thanks for getting me off the block! :thumb:

Very nice work.
I hadn't realised that Pultec used a tapped inductor.
Has that been the subject of some discussion around here?
Also where did ytou get the inductor from ?

[quote author="uk03878"]Purusha - nice build - might want to move that transformer hook up cable away from transistor heat sinks (can you hook it under the output board?)[/quote]

No worries, transistors are far from being hot :thumb:

[quote author="radiance"]Nice build :thumb: Did you use Steffens schematic?[/quote]

I went P2P based on Franks PCB layout and partially home made PCBs for the high boost... but it didn't
work right although it was done exactly as Frank's PCB. It was funny as Sintech got the same results
with P2P but Franks Pultec seems to work just fine.

At the end I redrawn Gyraf's Pultec schematics to suite my choice of caps and inductors and then it worked nicely :wink:

[quote author="CJ"]purusha, you made that box your bitch, man! [/quote]

Yeah, I am very happy about it! Thanks for the help around the input iron wiring :thumb:

[quote author="barclaycon"]Very nice work. I hadn't realised that Pultec used a tapped inductor.
Has that been the subject of some discussion around here?
Also where did ytou get the inductor from ?[/quote]

The multitapped inductors came from Neeno :thumb: Like half the cost compared to the Sowters custom version.

tap dc ohms Q
1 26mh 20.6 7 1/2
2 39mh 25.8 9 1/4
3 78.8mh 37.9 13
4 155mh 55.8 18
5 312mh 84.1 25

Back