Protools PC Computer build from scratch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazz

High friends, I want to build a new PC from scratch for Ptools. Actually I would love a MAC but dont want to spend the greenbacks right now. So I'll build a fairly nice PC Hotrod.

I really like the ASUS motherboards. They have been super for me in the past and Digidesign recommends them also. So I think I'll look at the ASUS and go with the dual core, a couple of 500 gig SATA drives for starters. Anyone have any suggestions ?

THanks

My PC died not so long ago so I build a new one too. It had to be as silent as can be. http://www.silentpcreview.com/ is a great place to find tips.

As for the motherboard, Asus P5B Deluxe is a good choice.

To get it quick and quiet I used an intel Core 2 Duo, Scythe Ninja cooler, Nexus fans, Antec P180 case, Seasonic S12-380 (!) power supply, Silentmaxx HD silencer, Sunbeam Chromatic Windmill fan controler.

HD's and video cards improve rappidly, hard to give good advice since I build mine a few months ago. But go for a fanless video card! The HD silencers are really worth it and the Antec P180 is large which makes it very easy to install the MB and Ninja. Also airflow is improved!

ps If you're gonna burn CDs, get a Plextor and nothing else :!: They are not quiet, but their burn quality is as good as it gets!!! Really worth the money if you ever burn CDs.

Good luck
Maarten

Look here:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=360675&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1#360675

The "Alternate system" is very good and built around ASUS mb. Get 3800+ dual core CPU, it is much cheaper.

[quote author="Marik"] Get 3800+ dual core CPU, it is much cheaper.[/quote]

But the Intels are lightyears ahead of AMD in performance nowadays.

Right before the Core2's came out I built an AMD X2 machine for cheap cheap for use with Cubase. It's rock solid and I have not even gotten close to the limit with tracks, plug-ins, etc. yet. I don't use a lot of plugs, but still... the damn thing is fast.

Anyway, the Antec Solo is a nice case and has a HD suspension mounting system plus acoustic deadening panels on the inside and a very quiet case fan. I went with a Seasonic power supply as well... very quiet.

I love Plextors, but I think some of the other drive manufacturers have caught up. I have a Sony DVD/CD burner in two of my machines now and have never burned a bad disc.

[quote author="ChrioN"][quote author="Marik"] Get 3800+ dual core CPU, it is much cheaper.[/quote]

But the Intels are lightyears ahead of AMD in performance nowadays.[/quote]

I am still running PT on an old AMD 2700+ on ASUS A7V600 with no problems and it is fast enough for my needs and absolutely stable.

Maybe I will upgrade soon for dual CPU to run 7.1 plug-ins on the second processor.

BTW, got 250G Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA. It is a very quiet HD.

[quote author="b3groover"]Seagates are the only harddrive I trust nowadays. And yes, they are quiet.[/quote]

There are 2 types of hard drive:

Those that have failed & those that are going to fail !!

I don't trust hard drives, backing up is the only way !

When I say "trust" I'm referring to them lasting for more than a year. I've had far too many Western Digital drives die on me to ever buy another again.

I agree about back-ups, wholeheartedly.

Lots of good info and feedback thanks much. I have never had a hard dirve problem in my life yet. Lucky I guess......I do always back-up everyones work on an external fire wire drive. Good habit. As far as fan noise not really an issue, I have 50ft monitor cables and have a seperate computer room. I hate hearing that fan sound when I'm mixing.

The P5(series) Asus sounds like a great choice my research tells me the same. The other gear mentioned here I will check out also. I have been using protools 5.3.2 all this time if you can believe that. Hell its been pretty solid and waves has been working great so I so no reason to change till I read of all the new improvements made.

I installed 7.3.2 and immediate crash when executing ptools. So I figure I can't call em up and bitch when I got this old computer that is not up to par these days. I have only had problems with large mixs 32+ tracks and loaded down with Waves plug ins...then it crawls. Looking forward to the upgrade.

I hear the SATA drives have been a nice improvement also.

why's everyone think macs are so expensive? i built a so-so pc for like 1000$. and i just bought a DUAL 2.5 gig g5 with 2 gigs of ram and 300g hd for 1500.

the mac makes that pc look like a toy.

time you sink money into the un-obvious stuff on a pc (expensive intel mobos, decent fast ram, a cpu thats not outdated, a decent psu and a decent case (100$+) your sinking some change in a pc and its not that far from a used mac.

the mac in turn will keep its resale value (no one wants to buy some pieced together old pc).

t

I agree with asm, why spend the time and effort to build a pc when you really want a Mac? Nothing against PC hardware, I just don't care for Windoze. :wink:

I'm running a 7 year old Mac which is still current with all the software. Admittedly, it starts to run out of oomph when I'm recording 10 tracks simultaneously at 24 bit, but plays back more!

Macs definitely hold their value but also stay current for a long time. G5s are going to be cheaper this summer when all the pro users upgrade to the new Octo MacPro towers coming by June or sooner (they will be expensive but a different class of workstation, and everyone will sell their G5s to get them).

The dual G5s are still amazing, capable of HD video recording and authoring, and have plenty of power for audio for years to come.

You can get a basic G4 tower for $150 now. You'll need to add RAM and HD, and CPU upgrade, but you're still way, way, way under $1,000. More like $500. You can't beat that.

Are you aware of all the free software you get when you buy a new Mac? GarageBand, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie... Let's not forget Logic is on Macs and a new version is expected this summer.

And no viruses on the Mac, no security issues.

I'm sure building a PC is satisfying and may save some pennies. You can also DIY upgrades to a G4 tower for about $500, as mentioned. Either way, it's DIY, enjoy.

I did this experiment last year and failed
BUT
DON'T let that stop you trying

What is ProTools ? LE ... HD-PCi ... HD-PCe

I was trying HD-PCi
and it was enough PCI slots and screen drive and hot swap SATA that all made it fail.
The Asus P5P800 SE just wasn't what it was supposed to be.

So now I have a Dual G5 with 3gig upstairs and a bunch of 250 gig drives downstairs.
:roll:

one of these days I'll actually take the HD cards from the G4 and put them in the G5
I seem to have lost interest in a lot of things lately.

:cool:
but last week I was involved in installing a Fairlight Dream Console and that made me smile for about an hour.

Yeah... same questions as Kev... which system? if we are talking LE, then just ignore my post and use whatever works out best for you, but if you are building up an HD system...oh man... not a PC. i tried to cut some corners and do that a few years back and it was a horrid mess to get running smoothly. Also tried the Nuendo/RME route as well... even worse. Holy glitchfest! I was doing the stuff for a living then, so a mac was my only recourse to avoid embarrasment and lost time. Deep down inside, I know that should have been what I did from the beginning...

[quote author="ChrioN"]380w is a little on the low side nowadays.[/quote]

Far from. Core2Duo are very efficient, just like the seasonics.

Maarten

a custom built PC will have more bang-for-buck than a new mac will. but IMO the much bigger issue is reliability. with a mac it is one-size-fits-all. when you build it yourself, you decide on what quality each component will be and invest more where it counts. (hint: you don't need a fancy video card) if you do your homework you can build a fast, VERY stable and long term reliable machine, for less than that $1500 Mac.

but if you want to run Logic then you need a mac. If you are going to use Protools IMO you should get a Mac. so buy a mac and replace it when it fails.

but the original poster said he wanted to build it from SCRATCH. first you're gonna need to grow some silicon crystals, slice them into wafers and grind them smooth...

[quote author="tommypiper"] I'm sure building a PC is satisfying and may save some pennies. You can also DIY upgrades to a G4 tower for about $500, as mentioned. Either way, it's DIY, enjoy.[/quote]

Dude, I built my latest PC music machine for $600 and it smokes any G4 out there, upgrades or not. $200 of that was for the ultra-quiet case and power supply.

The whole Mac vs. PC thing is a bore. If you have the money, buy a Mac. If you don't and enjoy piddling with computers (which I do), then a PC is a lot of fun. My machine is rock solid stable, has 4gb of RAM, and runs Cubase 4 like a dream. It's a joy to use.

FWIW, I'm very familar with Macs, having earned a living as a videographer in a post-production facility for years before doing music full-time. They are great machines. Final Cut is awesome. I would much rather edit video on a Mac than a PC (although I will say that Adobe Premier runs great on my music machine as well and is a very nice piece of software). But for music, a PC will get you there just as good for a lot less money.

Check out Enuinc.com there local on 122nd/sandy and out in hillsburito. The have a almost no hassle 1 year across the counter exchange for failed hardware. Great service and I highly recommend them for an local computer parts spot.

I've spent thousands there for hardware and had to take a few things back but there was no questions asked as long as I had the receipt.

Mac is the only way to go if you want a stable music box BTW.

And I would expect a current PC especially if you got good components to smoke a 5 year old mac G4, allots changed and there using intel core duo's for most systems now. Plus with a current mac you can run Mac OSX and if you need Windows.

Back