One more time, another finished GSSL

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tubejay

Well, my GSSL is UGLY, but it sounds BEAUTIFUL! I very quickly just painted on what the controls were. When I figure out how to make a nice panel, I'll just flip the front panel over and have it done. For now though, at least I know what the controls are. :grin:

I tested this out on some drum submixes and some overall mixes last night, and was happy with both. I really think it shines as a drum submix compressor. It really tightens them up and adds some nice punch. I also tried it on about five different songs, and it really sounded good on about three of them, and the other two aren't done and sound like shit anyway...so who knows. This thing sounds really good, and has a nice and open sound, and is capable of some wild compression. I used the 2151 VCA's, and without having anything to compare them to, I can only say that these sound great.

Okay, here's the ugly picture. Sorry, no inside pictures, but it looks just like Greg's.

I'm going to try to get some sound samples over the coming weeks to post up here.

GSSL.jpg

Thanks....I guess! :cool: At least I know which control is where, and other engineers at the studio can use it this way! :green:

Hey Tubejay you know that you can download a scale for the Behringer Meter from Frank's homepage ?
If not here is a link:
http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/vumeter.html

Flo

Yes, it's the Behringer Meter...which works ok I guess. It doesn't track right on, but I haven't measured it yet.

I actually was going to use that scale, but when I took the front off of the meter, it BROKE! So I had to order another one... I was able to get the front off with the second one without breaking it, but the meter scale didn't fit in there quite right, and it made my already ghetto GSSL look even more Ghetto. Those factors, coupled with the fact that it doesn't track correctly anyway, have led me to stick with looks over the correct type of scale...which I guess makes it even more ghetto. Ah well! :guinness: :guinness:

I just push buttons and turn knobs anyway.

I really like it this way.
Great job. It reminds me of those ohmboyz plugins.
They have a funky and a classic skin to choose from....

Tubejay - I almost broke my B* meter as well. I bent the needle, but was able to fix it up just like new. I based my scale around the scale that was already in there, so it could be backlit with the lamp in it. It really makes the meter easier to read in darker room situations. Frank's scale is black I think, so I opted for the scale with the B* meter. I set it up so each division represent 1dB of gain reduction. I also used the 2151s, and I made of couple adjustments to have the correct ratios and better tracking with the B* meter. I know that I used a 3.3k resistor for meter tracking, but I can't remember the value resistors for the ratios. I'll check when I get home and get back to you.

And btw - nice work !!! I like your style !

What's your next project going to be? I made a complete list of parts for Gyraf's 1176 clone. I should be starting on it very soon. Are you planning to give that one a crack?

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Long live Phase2 and Taki183![/quote]

Actually, i met Phase2 several times here in Italy..
He was (or even he still is, i dunno) used to hang around Milan with some friends of mine..
He also did few rap tracks with them too.. :grin:

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]I like it. It reminds me of a NYC subway train in the '70s. Is that your "tag" on the far right hand side?

http://www.subwayoutlaws.com
Long live Phase2 and Taki183![/quote]

no to totally hijack, but that website is awesome! the pages of top to bottoms in the throw ups link has some amazing stuff. I can barely barely remember when there was paint on the trains as a kid. barely. The city has changed sooo much...

dave

[quote author="Greg"]

And btw - nice work !!! I like your style !

What's your next project going to be? I made a complete list of parts for Gyraf's 1176 clone. I should be starting on it very soon. Are you planning to give that one a crack?[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I thought it would turn out cooler. I bought all of these metal fleck type paints, and was expecting these vibrant, bold colors and they all ended up being washed out.

Greg, for the meter resistor, I already replaced mine with what you used. Did you need to change some resistors to get the ratios correct with 2151's?

I'm already half done with my G1176. I'm trying to decide if I should I use the original BD-517/518's and spend a butt load on them, or go with the replacements. Does anyone know if it make a sound quality difference? For anyone that's looking for the originals, I got an email a few weeks back from fibra-brant stating that they had a small quantity in stock again. They cost a lot though.

Plus, I'm getting the parts ready for my pair of 1081 clones that I'm going to make next. I've been keeping busy (and broke) with DIY projects. This SSL project has got me pumped up now!

A lot less likely to get ripped off, which is good!
Same with my stuff, powered by a external supply, so the boxes are useless by themselves. So if they get ripped, at least the punks won't be able to use it.
That paint job will make it sound funky, just by hypnotic suggestion value alone. OK, no more of my five bar hyperbolies, whatever that means.
:sam: :sam:

[quote author="tubejay"]
Greg, for the meter resistor, I already replaced mine with what you used. Did you need to change some resistors to get the ratios correct with 2151's?
[/quote]

Yes I had to add two resistors (one for each channel). I'll get back to you on the value.

i used a 10k pot for that meter res...guess for a more permenant solution, once set just take down the pot value and replace with a normal res. My panels shud be arriving for my first SSL next week!! woo :thumb:

tubejay, dial electronics has some BD517/8s for £1.46 ea: http://www.dialelec.com/288.html - not sure on the sound difference...my g1176 is still missing some parts and a psu!

tubejay - If your planning to order some bd517/8s, let me know cause I'd like to go in for them with you, especially if we buy them from somewhere in Europe... that would cut down on shipping costs alot.

deArry - thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Back